just got shocked

tabndust

wow that didnt feel great! i was messing in the fuge today when i went to stick my hand in it didnt feel good. i thought it was the glass heater so i unplugged it but i was wrong. it ended up being my mag 18. only the pump and about 1 1/2 ft of cord are under water. i havent had time to check it out yet. is this a common problem and is it worth trying to figure out and fix or should i just find a new pump

I had a MAG 7 shock me.. It was the worst shock I've ever had actually (and I've had a lot). It threw me to the floor and I had a tough time breathing for a few seconds. A grounding probe won't fix that problem. If anything it'll actually make it worse. If you have a grounding probe installed you'll most likely flip a breaker, also give the current a place to travel to which can hurt the live stock.

Either way, the best practice is to keep a keen eye on your equipment (or just stick your finger in the water every day to check for shocks :p )..

-Rob

wow, i didnt know that about grounding probes. i was under the impression that any stray voltage would go through the probe to you home ground and not to the live stock, like the path of least resistance. maybe i will do a little more research and have to take it out.

It really depends on what you use it for. I have one in my sump right next to all of my probes. It makes sure there is no stray voltage screwing with them..... What they are not good for is getting rid of power when a cord splits open. There are different opinions on them, but my personal one is they are good only when used in the right way and not used to guard against something like tabndust experienced.

-Rob

You should really have everything that is running in water or around on a GFCI. The saltwater makes everything such a good conductor you can easly loose you life over faulty equipment.

Your not a reefer unless you've been shocked a few times. Sucks doesnt it, id hate to run electrical for a living, hate that stuff.

there is a big difference in getting a little shock and then getting a little shock while you are gruonded with Saltwater. HUGE difference

kind of like spilling water on a power strip vs. spilling saltwater on a power strip.

don't ask how I know :)

lol ever reach to pull out a plug and the plug has slightly worked alittle loose. and when you grab the plug your fingers touch the metal? lol
ive made more then a few power strips smoke too lol.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6818418#post6818418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by miaminemo
so how do fish live through electic water? Or is only because we are grounded that we get shocked?

Last part. Its lind of like workign on a high tenshin power line. They can't shut the electricity off in the line so they put an ungrounded worker on the line.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6819026#post6819026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ronc98
You should really have everything that is running in water or around on a GFCI. The saltwater makes everything such a good conductor you can easly loose you life over faulty equipment.

I am in the process of setting up a 120 and installed a 20 Amp circuit for the tank. I have also installed a GFCI outlet. My question is this should provide protection right?

willie301
welcome.gif

To Reef Central

run a GFCI If something goes bad it will trip before their is a potential for getting shocked.

Or you can have your wife put her hand in first. I would suggest the first. :)

Ron this would all depend how much the insurance policy that she doesn't know about is worth.:D

I'm thinking 1)let her do it 2)collect insurance 3)get bigger tank with all the goodies. ;)
:D

No really just kidding, it's not worth anyone's life:cool:

Romeo

Find anything out about what we discussed?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6822998#post6822998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by willie301
I am in the process of setting up a 120 and installed a 20 Amp circuit for the tank. I have also installed a GFCI outlet. My question is this should provide protection right?

yes it should cut the power to the tank ibn the case of a malfunction. The only down side is sometimes they are too sensitive :) That said I would recomend them and have both my circuiots protected by them.

I'm a whimp when it comes to electricity though

Thanks to all for the help. Thanks SZWAB very much.
I know I have a ways to go but I hope to soon have my setup going.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6829645#post6829645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tabndust
so is there any way to know that im about to get shocked without sticking my hand in the water?

stand on 1 foot .. on your tippy toes if you can manage it.

Back