Just making sure my BTA is acting OK

ctniners

Hello guys,
Last friday I went to my LFS and bought a very good looking green bulb anemone with pink tips....
On Friday I gave it a krill and it took it OK....it stayed in the same location I put it when I first introduced it to the tank..my question is ...as you will see the first day it looked very puffy but after that is kinda of hiding..not showing all tentacles...as you will notice in the other pics.
The color looks good, the mouth is fine, the water is good....is this normal? do they tend to hide and only show a bit, do they come out eventually? should I worry at some point? Do they have to get used to the light maybe?...

Here other info.....at the store they were keeping it in a rock under pc lights...they gave me the anemone with the rock to prevent any foot issues.
Also, I have been keeping an eye on the 2 clown fish (the only fish I have) and they have not gone near it...so I dont think is hiding because they are bothering it.

I have a 28 gl tank...150 W HQI MH + 36 W actinics = 186 W

Here are some pics:

First few hours in aquarium:
anemonefirstday.jpg

The following are the NOW pictures...pic from the right side of tank:
anemonerightview.jpg

With actinics on...front side of tank..hiding by glass:
anemonebyrightglass-1.jpg

This one is from the left side...you can see part of the tentacles peaking from behind a rock:
anemonefromleftside.jpg

Thanks for your inputs.

Its completely normal, they will roam and find a place that they believe is suitable for them, could just be acclimating to the light also.

+ 1
I will take a while to acclimate to your lighting. You seem to have gotten a nice healthy anemone. Been seeing too many bleached one's lately. Very nice.

+1 - they roam. I have a very similar setup and found I could "coax" mine to the middle of the tank by adjusting the flow. If you have a small coralia, you could push a little more flow at it, if it's uncomfortable it will move.

However, I also noticed that once they set - they don't move much. Mine hasn't moved in almost a year! If you don't love where he decides to call home, adjust your aqua scape and he'll move

I was thinking of adding a RBTA or GBTA to my display tank. I have Koralias right above of where I want the anemone to go. Would the anemone not like this??

Ha, I just bought a BTA today and was about to ask all the same questions!

Mine has decided to hide out behind th rockwork. I will let it hang out there for a few days, but is moving it manuely after that a bad idea?

If you put powerheads in your display, don't forget to cover the intake, your anemone will really dislike getting sucked in or shredded.

What do you mean covers? How do you cover the intakes without resticting water flow? Mine have grates over them right now.

Anemone Update

Anemone Update

Hi Guys...I hope you are still subscribed to this thread....

Well after a week the anemone did not move so I re-arrenged the rocks around it so it can be in display......my question is the following....the last 2 times a gave it a krill (I am doing it twice per week) i put it by hand on its tentacles deep enough that you could see the krill from the outside....but the next day I found the krill boucing around on the sand....should I be worried...it is not shrinking or opening its mouth....to my surprise one of my O. clownfish already took home in it...I am surpised because to begin O Clownfish are not natural to the BTAs but also because there were tank raised.

Any inputs,...should I try a different type of food?

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14214835#post14214835 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patroklos
What do you mean covers? How do you cover the intakes without resticting water flow? Mine have grates over them right now.

Just a sponge over the grates

Back