Kalkwasser

tubbsiewubbsie

Any of you folks use kalkwasser to fight low PH?

Even with air intake on the skimmer ran outside and a co2 scrubber inline on of my tanks drops to 7.7 at night. I'm toying with the idea of dripping kalkwasser to replace all or some of my 2-part.

Anyone doing this or tried it in the past?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you decide to try I can sell you a 5 gallon bucket of it for $25/ never opened. From BRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I bought a complete system and the previous owner used it. I myself have only used 2 part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any of you folks use kalkwasser to fight low PH?

Even with air intake on the skimmer ran outside and a co2 scrubber inline on of my tanks drops to 7.7 at night. I'm toying with the idea of dripping kalkwasser to replace all or some of my 2-part.

Anyone doing this or tried it in the past?

We can try to troubleshoot the fundamental issue if you like. With a skimmer running outside + a CO2 scrubber is shocking your PH is so low. Id be willing to bet my whole tank setup that some other chemistry in the tank is not naturally inline

We can try to troubleshoot the fundamental issue if you like. With a skimmer running outside + a CO2 scrubber is shocking your PH is so low. Id be willing to bet my whole tank setup that some other chemistry in the tank is not naturally inline
I guess it could be.

My oldest tank runs 7.95 at night with CO2 scrubber and line outside. All my systems run at Alk 7.8 - 8.0, Cal 420 - 470, Mag 1350 - 1500. Nitrates in my 265 stay high at 32 ppm, in my 120 they run 4 ppm, PO4 bounces between .06 and .12. I run a triton ICP every 4-6 months and I always have low Iodine, boron and few other trave elements, i dose those still low. My nem system does show some tin that I can't seem to remedy but it's not off the charts.

Do any of those numbers seem like they could make all the systems have such low PH?

Then nem system does not have a line ran outside or a C02 scrubber and it drops to 7.56 at night.

If I open the window in the basement the PH climbs to 8.5 in the 120 within a few days. The other 2 aren't to far behind that.

I should also include that I dose with brs 2 part + Mag. On my 120 I also dose tropic maron k+ and A- elements. All on auto dosers.

I should also include that I dose with brs 2 part + Mag. On my 120 I also dose tropic maron k+ and A- elements. All on auto dosers.

The only issue that jumps out at me is the high Nitrate. Do you have a refugium? Im going to guess no, if thats the case then certainly a refugium would help two issues... take down nitrates and increase PH (taking out CO2). Since you have large system, dont under estimate the light thats needed.

Thats interesting about opening up windows and other tanks are affected but not the large one. Wonder what would happen if you open up all the windows (confirm the other tanks in the house PH level) then disconnected the CO2 scrubber and outside line. Curious what the results would be. You can do that to eliminate if the CO2 scrubber or Outside line is causing an issue.

Ill look up more on anything weird that might cause low PH.

The only issue that jumps out at me is the high Nitrate. Do you have a refugium? Im going to guess no, if thats the case then certainly a refugium would help two issues... take down nitrates and increase PH (taking out CO2). Since you have large system, dont under estimate the light thats needed.

Thats interesting about opening up windows and other tanks are affected but not the large one. Wonder what would happen if you open up all the windows (confirm the other tanks in the house PH level) then disconnected the CO2 scrubber and outside line. Curious what the results would be. You can do that to eliminate if the CO2 scrubber or Outside line is causing an issue.

I do run a fuge on all my systems. The large tank also has a algae scrubber. I've noticed that when Iodine and Iron comeback low I've also been getting decreased growth from my chaeto. I'm attempting to dose to see if I can increase growth.

All tanks ph increase significantly (.2 - .4) with the basement window open. I've also noticed when my wife bakes in the gas oven all day my ph suffers. More than one person in the basement for several hours and my ph drops significantly.

The previous owner of this house put in aftermarket energy efficent windows. I'm thinking that plus the gas appliances and the contruction of my basement might be contributing factors.

I wouldn't even worry about it but my alk consumption dropped on all tanks. 25% on the least affected up to 50% on the worst. Some of that might be a decrease in precipitation at the lower PH but I assume it's also a slowing of uptake by my corals.

With the window open and CO2 scrubber/outside line disconnected ph goes up about .2 - .3 . Re-install the outside air intake and CO2 scrubber it jumps around another .2.

Co2 scrubber outside line in place ph jumps .15 - .2 depending on tank/whats going on in the house that day.

Thanks for your consideration on the issue!

the tanks that have the most surface agitation will have more of a response to you opening the windows.

I just added a Kalk reactor several months ago for the same reason. My morning pH ran below 7.8 at that time. I am dosing 5 ml/min of solution and just add in BRS 2 part to make up the difference. My morning pH now runs 7.9-8.0.

Back