Karim's 1500gal dream reef

So, given the scale of this endeavor and the finite resources available, I need to be creative.

One idea is to only use 3 sheets of expensive 3/4" starphire glass: side, side and front - in the shape of the U

The back and bottom are probably viable in another medium- plywood, concrete, plastics...

So - question to all the massive tank owners with experience doing multi-modal builds : what do you recommend?

I have experience with plywood and epoxy. I've also done cinder block and epoxy. In both cases, I used plastic windows with silicone that acted as a gasket only. The frame for the acrylic was made of the construction medium covered with epoxy.

I've never used glass and another medium.

Also- the two ends (bottoms of the U) should clear silicone without metal or wood bracing.

Thoughts?

That's GOOP rebranded and I use it all the time.

It's great stuff

I'm really asking if anyone else with a large tank has done this or something like this

I haven't personally done it but I think AGE uses PVC bottoms on their aquariums, so something along those lines should work for you.

Time frame is controlled by the wife. I just get to veto property that doesn't work for this project, without talking about the project. :)

Probably later this year or early next year to start

No. I had George of GEO's reef build mine. He is a personal friend and local to me. That's the reason. But a guy here has an AGE tank and its build quality is awesome.

Corey

Both were actually inspiration for my tank. A few differences are that my drop off is an illusion since the area below the reef floor is a cave network, and that the flow is multimodal and circulating.

3/4" glass for a 42" tall tank? You sure that is wise? I've seen much shorter tanks come standard with 3/4" glass. A quick look at a chart shows 1-1/8" is recommended for something that high (and of course over that span might want more).

That said I've built a PVC bottom aquarium before (well replaced the bottom with PVC), it worked out fine, it sat flat on the stand like an acrylic tank would. Granted it was MUCH smaller (80g) but it held up for a few years before I ended up selling the tank.

This tank is only 42" at one end. The rest is a shallow tank with a center platform that holds it together.

I'll do a breakdown view to show all the hidden sections.

This tank is only 42" at one end. The rest is a shallow tank with a center platform that holds it together.

I'll do a breakdown view to show all the hidden sections.

It doesn't matter if it's only 42" at one end, while yeah that shallow portion MAY hold that part together, the parts that are 42" deep will feel a pressure against the walls as if the entire tank is 42" deep, it doesn't matter that it is a drop off. And even if you want to argue that the mid-joint will be sufficient that front pane is a solid 42" top to bottom.

I'm not trying to bring down your thread, but you have a mega-dream reef idea, and you're going to build the tank yourself from the sounds of it, just make sure you do it right so it doesn't become a mega-waste of money because there was a disaster a couple years later.

Back