Karim's 1500gal dream reef

Last edited:
Your idea to run passive air cooling loops thru the ground sounds expensive up front. Did you mention titanium cooling coils? Also, Legionnaires Disease comes to mind.

If ambient outside air is tolerable for 90% of the time, run vents at highest point of structure. Make these vents electrically operated and open as required/desired. When conditioned air is required, close vents and turn on HVAC. I would also install a large exhaust fan. This would give the option of moving large volumes of air thru sunroom. In exhaust fan mode, the ridge vents would be closed so that “air in” comes from ground level. For air in, I would use entrance door with a screen door. No need to build expensive side vents in sunroom.

The idea is actually not new. Greenhouses have been running underground air loops for a decade at least. I first found the idea online and then in a solar greenhouse building book called "The Year-Round Solar Greenhouse: How to Design and Build a Net-Zero Energy Greenhouse" by Lindsey Schiller:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0865718245

He has examples of it up and running. There are a couple of YouTube videos out there that likewise show private and commercial cooling projects based on direct earth cooling of air.

As far as bacteria, viruses and mold - that's why the pipes are to be laid out on a grade so condensation can run down into the ground trap. You're right though, it needs to be cleaned or disinfected to avoid problems over years of use. There are some AC units that use chlorine or bromine in their drain pans but there are other detergents that can be used too. Basically, the system would need to be dried out and flushed once a year when it's not being used (winter).

As far as cost- it's the rental on the digging equipment and the cost of PVC pipe and the blower fans. Estimate is ~ $400 for PVC, $150 for the fan and $950 for the excavation. So $1500. But the cost over time is primarily the fan power usage at 200W.

Since I'm renting the excavation equipment anyway to install the water cooling coils, it's not entirely fair to count all the cost against the air coils. Also need to trench for power, water, etc... from the house to the sunroom.

But it's not free, you're right. Just cheaper.

On fresh air: totally agree! I do plan on having low cool air intake vents on the southern face and have louvre'd windows against the north wall to create a draft in and up for nice days. I thought of adding vent fans up over the north wall but fans in roof glass got complicated. May need to review that idea.

The main door is south facing too so it can add to the venting. Dallas wind in nearly always south to north. I do plan on using fresh air as long as humidity is under 60% and temp is under 80F.

Last edited:
The idea is actually not new. Greenhouses have been running underground air loops for a decade at least. I first found the idea online and then in a solar greenhouse building book called "The Year-Round Solar Greenhouse: How to Design and Build a Net-Zero Energy Greenhouse" by Lindsey Schiller:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0865718245

He has examples of it up and running. There are a couple of YouTube videos out there that likewise show private and commercial cooling projects based on direct earth cooling of air.

As far as bacteria, viruses and mold - that's why the pipes are to be laid out on a grade so condensation can run down into the ground trap. You're right though, it needs to be cleaned or disinfected to avoid problems over years of use. There are some AC units that use chlorine or bromine in their drain pans but there are other detergents that can be used too. Basically, the system would need to be dried out and flushed once a year when it's not being used (winter).

As far as cost- it's the rental on the digging equipment and the cost of PVC pipe and the blower fans. Estimate is ~ $400 for PVC, $150 for the fan and $950 for the excavation. So $1500. But the cost over time is primarily the fan power usage at 200W.

Since I'm renting the excavation equipment anyway to install the water cooling coils, it's not entirely fair to count all the cost against the air coils. Also need to trench for power, water, etc... from the house to the sunroom.

But it's not free, you're right. Just cheaper.

On fresh air: totally agree! I do plan on having low cool air intake vents on the southern face and have louvre'd windows against the north wall to create a draft in and up for nice days. I thought of adding vent fans up over the north wall but fans in roof glass got complicated. May need to review that idea.

The main door is south facing too so it can add to the venting. Dallas wind in nearly always south to north. I do plan on using fresh air as long as humidity is under 60% and temp is under 80F.

Underground air ducts for cooling has been around for centuries before electricity was harnessed. The Longwood Plantation in Natchez, Miss was designed by Samuel Sloan, a Philadelphia architect. He used air duct with opening under shaded oak trees. The house was designed with an octagonal floor plan with a Byzantine onion shaped dome in the center. This center structure served as a chimney to vent warm air from its peak. Also, in the top of this dome was an array of mirrors to direct sun light to lower floors using large quartz crystals to diffuse light. I toured this unique home about 20years ago. It was very impressive how passive cooling was used in those days.

Unfortunately it's all on me. :(

$50k allowance planning to repay it in 10 years through frag sales.

I thought of starting an educational go-fund-me initiative with YouTube videos. This is similar to what Joey from King of DIY did with his channel https://m.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

We're doing different things but the idea of sharing the learnings is the same.

Another option for funding is patreon https://www.patreon.com to get support for the content on my YouTube channel.

I'm not rich so I need to work on heavy DIY where it makes sense to afford this. The budget is a hard stop but I'm still optimistic.

I'm very much an admirer of traditional culture approaches to passive cooling. I grew up in Egypt and the Middle East. And just like the Eskimo learned to keep warm without electricity, hot climate cultures were very inventive on keeping cool.

The simple idea of building a high outlet chimney and using towels dipped in a water trough in windows is a spectacularly efficient way of using natural chimney convection to draw air in through the wet cloth to keep cool.

I'm a scientist and engineer at heart, even as I've been on the business side for a while now... nothing is quite as beautiful as understanding how the world really works and then making it work for you.

The subterranean heating and cooling systems, is more effective in heating than cooling greenhouses. Thing of burying the pipes outside in a shaded area, to achieve more effective cooling

Haha
Well personally I wouldn't do a greenhouse and would just use solar tubes or solar lights. It seems it would be easier to keep the room and tank cool

How to make a small fortune in aquaculture.

How to make a small fortune in aquaculture.

Unfortunately it's all on me. :(

$50k allowance planning to repay it in 10 years through frag sales.

I thought of starting an educational go-fund-me initiative with YouTube videos. This is similar to what Joey from King of DIY did with his channel https://m.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

We're doing different things but the idea of sharing the learnings is the same.

Another option for funding is patreon https://www.patreon.com to get support for the content on my YouTube channel.

I'm not rich so I need to work on heavy DIY where it makes sense to afford this. The budget is a hard stop but I'm still optimistic.

When researching tech talks at Aquatic EcoSystems, I found one that interested me.
"œHow to make a small fortune in aquaculture? Start with a large fortune."

Solar tubes are terribly inefficient... they look "bright" to our human eyes but the actual par is negligible. Several have tried and ended up needing to add light.

Yes. It's a hard thing to turn into a business, so I'm just looking to subsidize as much of the cost. In the process, I hope to learn and invent and share it with enough people to make a positive contribution to the community at large. I'd say "learning and sharing" are the cornerstone of my endeavor.

I literally just joined Reef Central to follow your build, especially since the local forum isn't very active. It's been a few months since I checked it out. I'm located in Aubrey.

Back