Kessil AP700 Aquarium LED Light

<i><br>Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.</i>

Okay, let's get back to discussing the equipment in question. In the future, conversations work better if people don't make personal attacks on people based on what products they buy. A simple comment like, "it's very expensive for what it is" would be fine.
Thanks for your concern. The issue has been resolved.

<i><br>Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.</i>

Okay, let's get back to discussing the equipment in question. In the future, conversations work better if people don't make personal attacks on people based on what products they buy. A simple comment like, "it's very expensive for what it is" would be fine.

Much respect to the form and its Mod's. there is no issue here and all water under the bridge.

thanks a lot.

This will be down the road :)

BTW do we know what are the main new features of the AP700 other than having wifi that eliminate the need for controller?
also do anyone know if the light will come with a hanging kit?

one thing kessil have fell short on in the past is making things easy on customers, that's one of the reasons why I delayed this far from using them. they do not release useful accessories to customers like AI and Ecotech that makes people's life easier....at least this is my opinion...

BTW do we know what are the main new features of the AP700 other than having wifi that eliminate the need for controller?
also do anyone know if the light will come with a hanging kit?

one thing kessil have fell short on in the past is making things easy on customers, that's one of the reasons why I delayed this far from using them. they do not release useful accessories to customers like AI and Ecotech that makes people's life easier....at least this is my opinion...

I agree as far as the hanging options go. They just use the goose necks"¦.
I had to go outside the box, and use the A.I Hanging rail system, to make it work for me. And I don't think the AP 700 comes with a hanging kit..seperate purchase I think...

(Possible Rant)

just confirmed.. AP 700 does not come with hanging kit...

This is my number one pet peeve that these overpriced light companies do!! They expect you to pay a in my opinion a ridiculous amount for led fixtures that you can put over you tank out of the box because they.

A. want you to spend more money on buying whatever mounting system that should have already came with the damn.
B. they think everybody at home already has a pre-built DIY hanging system.
C. They think we chumps and know they have to make us spend more money.

You know I hate to say it but most of your fuvul, Marinland, or Aquatic life fixtures at least have legs just in case you don't have that already pre-built DIY stand waiting.

But again Its really us consumers that are to blame for buying these overpriced lights and accepting that you have to pay extra to be able to put over your tank.

(Possible Rant)

This is my number one pet peeve that these overpriced light companies do!! They expect you to pay a in my opinion a ridiculous amount for led fixtures that you can put over you tank out of the box because they.

A. want you to spend more money on buying whatever mounting system that should have already came with the damn.

You know I hate to say it but most of your fuvul, Marinland, or Aquatic life fixtures at least have legs just in case you don't have that already pre-built DIY stand waiting.

But again Its really us consumers that are to blame for buying these overpriced lights and accepting that you have to pay extra to be able to put over your tank.

Its kinda like buying a car without tires :) Cant drive it"¦need to buy tires"¦

Can't use it,"¦ need to buy hanging kit :hammer:

(Possible Rant)

totally agree:))
when they had their first Kessil, it was a light that do not have a controller. controlled by voltage varying.... they expected everyone know how to use it:))

well, at least they are learning bit by bit, now they have embedded controller.

BTW I heard from my supply store that they will include hanging kit with it(only the wires part of the hanging kit), and its up to the consumer to install it using their goose or other hanging bars.
I will be using my AI EXT hanging kit that is already installed on my tank, they are much nicer looking than the kessil goose bar....so lame:))

totally agree:))
when they had their first Kessil, it was a light that do not have a controller. controlled by voltage varying.... they expected everyone know how to use it:))

well, at least they are learning bit by bit, now they have embedded controller.

BTW I heard from my supply store that they will include hanging kit with it(only the wires part of the hanging kit), and its up to the consumer to install it using their goose or other hanging bars.
I will be using my AI EXT hanging kit that is already installed on my tank, they are much nicer looking than the kessil goose bar....so lame:))

that like there cans having the eyelets and Hooks. It something but again here comes the DIY.

Isnt building stuff like this half the fun of owning a reef tank?

DIY mount to mount a hydra to an EXT rail side to side and not front to back.

AI prime mount made with copper pipe.

DIY light with DIY rails made from 3/4" squage tubing and gussets

Light bars made from 3/4" conduit

D120 hanging from adjustable shelf brackets

DIY light from shelf.

Ther is no doubt that the big 3 (well big 2 being that ecotech owns AI) make a quality fixture. It depends on the individual if one is willing to pay a premium for the luxury fixtures with all the bells and whistles. There's no scientific study that proves that random clouds, progressive sunrise/sunset, and Lightning storms contribute to coral growth. Is it cool? Heck yeah.

I'm more concerned with growth than awe factor, that's just me... IMO Reefbreeder photon ,which includes a hanging kit ;) (you could go with the eBay special for even cheaper) and a couple of t5s will get the job done for any SPS with no shadowing... Honestly, water quality is more important than lighting. Just my .02

Last edited:
Isnt building stuff like this half the fun of owning a reef tank?

I'm not disagreeing that DIY is fun. At least when you have the tools. However, sometimes, particularly on expensive main items like your light, that you've just dropped premium cash for, it ought to just come with what you need. IMO.

Kevin

I'll give you that Kevin. I actually remember looking at a hydra 52 thinking crao now I have to buy a rail kit and controller.

Found more information on the light kinda of let down for people like me who have hoods.

ap700_feature2.jpg

These companies need to take note from the Lumia 5.1 and 5.2 which could use adjustable optics either 50-80 or 80-100 degrees. That being said, I wonder what degree optics these are going to come with. So, it'll cover a 48" long tank but at 15", so in return it's going to reduce the par. Its just funny to me, you could get almost any light to light up a 48" long tank if you hang it high enough but the par is going to be reduced quite a bit.

I too have a hood (acrylic) which is what has kept me from using halides for years. Its 6' and I think I am going to pre-order 2 of the AP700 because the lights will be only 6-7" off the surface. They did show a picture somewhere of a hood mounting kits. Anyone know more?

Back