Kessil AP700 Aquarium LED Light

standard 120. 48"X24" 2 fixtures were good to cover all.
one fixture for 48" is not enough...

That what I was afraid of they say it has a 48" spread at 15" to 18" and 36" spread at 7" to 12" So is that equal to having 4 kessil 360? Seems almost to much I have 2 on my 48" and it enough almost I third one would be better but I could not image a 4th.

Last edited:
Sorry asmodyus, but one lesson learned from all led manufactures, they always over state the coverage and most people have experienced that you need usually double what they claim. I run quite a few A360we and there is no way the cover a 24X24 area. Looks like a really great light, I can wait to see other chime in, it would be nice to see par numbers or side to side comparison to the A360we

Sorry asmodyus, but one lesson learned from all led manufactures, they always over state the coverage and most people have experienced that you need usually double what they claim. I run quite a few A360we and there is no way the cover a 24X24 area. Looks like a really great light, I can wait to see other chime in, it would be nice to see par numbers or side to side comparison to the A360we

Shsshh let me live in my bubble!

here is how I connected and hanged my 2 fixtures(my phone camera sucks so bad)

I'm no engineer, but looking at that hanging arrangement makes me nervous. It appears like it would be placing a lot of stress on the light housings themselves where you have the connecting rods tied in (inboard ends of both lights). I would be afraid the plastic would weaken and fail.

I'm guessing there are no hanging attach points closer to the center of each light fixture?

I might suggest you move the AI Rails to be centered over each fixture, then run wires to all four attach points instead of only two.

Is it true that you can not sync the fixtures with one another? That is just plain crazy. That would be a huge step backwards, considering almost all other fixtures, even most the cheap ones you can set up to work all together. I mean even there other kessils can be linked. I do hope they plan on updates but I am a little worried as we where promised updates and new features on the spectral controller and have yet to see anything.

I'm no engineer, but looking at that hanging arrangement makes me nervous. It appears like it would be placing a lot of stress on the light housings themselves where you have the connecting rods tied in (inboard ends of both lights). I would be afraid the plastic would weaken and fail.

I'm guessing there are no hanging attach points closer to the center of each light fixture?

I might suggest you move the AI Rails to be centered over each fixture, then run wires to all four attach points instead of only two.

I think it should be ok, these rods housing are build to sustain the weight when using canopy hanging kit. the wires are carrying half the weight and the rods are caring the other half which is equal to one full fixture weight.

Is it true that you can not sync the fixtures with one another? That is just plain crazy. That would be a huge step backwards, considering almost all other fixtures, even most the cheap ones you can set up to work all together. I mean even there other kessils can be linked. I do hope they plan on updates but I am a little worried as we where promised updates and new features on the spectral controller and have yet to see anything.

you can synch the fixtures...you cannot connect them mechanically so you use one hanging kit though. but you can synch the fixtures using the app.

If you find out the size of the holes for the mounting kits you might be able to get some aluminum rod the same size and link them that way. That's what I am going to try when mine get here. That way you only need to buy 1 of their kits when available.
1/4" aluminum rods are like $20 on amazon

so, so far the lights are awesome. what suck really bad are:
1- having no decent hanging kit
2- there is no way to interconnect 2 fixtures together, instead Kessil want you to buy hanging kit per fixture which is so lame
3- the iPad app is horrible so far, lots of bugs and keep loosing connection to the fixtures which means you need to re create the profile often...so annoying
4- the app is compatible only with Ipad... not iPhone or mac....WHAT!!! the funniest thing is that the app ask you to get an ipad air for better compatibility:)) so basically they suggest you to buy a 500$ controller (am not an IOS guy I only have android). good news is that Kessil saying they will release android apps soon.
5- the hanging kit is poorly designed without having the customer in mind, instead is look like kessil just wanted to be different rather than intuitive, examples:
a- the adjustment of the hanging kit is from the top (celling side) which means every time you want to adjust the highest of the kit you need a ladder:)
b- hanging kit uses none standard screws and bar sizes, so you cannot use existing well designed hanging kits like the AI or the Echo Tech kits

all in all, am still loving it and enjoying how the tank is looking. I spent a lot of time and money (retro fitted AI hanging kit+Kessil hanging kits+ipad2:)) to retro fit a nice hanging kit and mount the 2 units on my tank. the app is so horrible at the moment...ughh

i think the lights need some time to have stable app, and decent hanging kits options. for now, the lights are skeletons that needs a lot of work and patience, if you are in to that, buying now is your thing:)

So basically you're a beta tester. :lol:. There should be a law against releasing products that are not ready out of the box.

If you find out the size of the holes for the mounting kits you might be able to get some aluminum rod the same size and link them that way. That's what I am going to try when mine get here. That way you only need to buy 1 of their kits when available.
1/4" aluminum rods are like $20 on amazon

oh man do not get me started. Kessil used weird sizes to make sure you have to buy their stuff only I guess....
their Rod size is 6mm, which is 0.23" WTH..... it was hell to find something that fits, cause the 0.25" is too big. so what "with a strike of luck" I discovered is that if you get any of the standards 0.25" threaded rods (aluminum ,steel,..) that you can find in home depot it will fit perfectly cause....it was a nice fit since I can put on a screw nut that will allow easy adjustment in the future.....

So basically you're a beta tester. :lol:. There should be a law against releasing products that are not ready out of the box.

YUP.....it was so annoying going through the learning curves of these bugs and knowing that all the efforts and money spend on this will be obsolete when they fix their bugs and release better accessories and android app:))
in my opinion, Kessil always lacked on the customer side, they are solid on technology but lack in product and customer comfort comes first attitude....

"I might suggest you move the AI Rails to be centered over each fixture, then run wires to all four attach points instead of only two"

this is great Idea thank you so much

First impression of ap700. Annoyance at the fact that you need an Allen wrench to install the hanging kit. But they don't supply the Allen wrench -_-

Anyone out there with the iPad app having trouble with some modes? My regular schedule works fine but when I try to run acclimation mode the light does not want to turn on. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just a glitch in the app that kessil needs to fix...

Mfaso,

I seem to be having the same thing happen, but I'm still playing....

So I actually emailed Kessil the other day and they did confirm the app has glitches regarding the 2 modes. They told me the lunar mode is currently non functional and that the acclimation mode can still work but the starting intensity has to be set >40%. I put starting intensity at 50% and I'm still believe it's not working right. I guess we'll just have to wait until they update the app.

Back