Kessil AP700 Aquarium LED Light

I still prefer building lights, I just honestly don't like any premade light enough to use one, mainly because the use of cool whites, reds and greens. And I think Nano Box pucks are incredible.

I wish I have such skills:)) I really do. BTW for a DYI what is the best LED's that can be used?

I think the nano box pucks are really hard to beat. I think the day when people would use individual leds is over, atleast it should be.

dude dude, chill, I already said I did not mean to come across too rough, I was just annoyed when you assumed that who pre order is an elitist that's all.
I agree with you that the light is expensive, and if you cannot spare 900$ you should not get one. this site is indeed for folks to help each others in the hobby not to look petty, or to bash ppl:))
no need to say sorry, water under the bridge brother.
SO let me get this straight based on your response I should apologize to you, I'm petty, and I bash people? Ok cool your entitled to your own opinion. We live in a free country and if that's the passive aggressive way you wish to conduct yourself so be it. Your exactly right though "water under the bridge". I'm finished with this both of us have already wasted enough time arguing over who is petty, who is elitest, and who shouldn't be in the hobby. P.S. SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACKING ASMODYUS.

SO let me get this straight based on your response I should apologize to you, I'm petty, and I bash people? Ok cool your entitled to your own opinion. We live in a free country and if that's the passive aggressive way you wish to conduct yourself so be it. Your exactly right though "water under the bridge". I'm finished with this both of us have already wasted enough time arguing over who is petty, who is elitest, and who shouldn't be in the hobby. P.S. SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACKING ASMODYUS.

Lol, awsome. We have a common underatanding.
Now let's get to the good part. The kessil ap700 look like an awsome option for an sps dominant tank.

Yes back to the the overpriced light. I am wondering about the spread I read that its going to be 48" is that wide or circular and is still going to have the spot like effects of the Kessils which means shadowing. So I will than have to keep my T5's to accommodate with the light.

Yes back to the the overpriced light. I am wondering about the spread I read that its going to be 48" is that wide or circular and is still going to have the spot like effects of the Kessils which means shadowing. So I will than have to keep my T5's to accommodate with the light.
Am wondering the same thing. My experince is that when they claim 48" coverage, usually it's 36" without blind spot lol.
That's why am starting with 1 AP700, then will either get another one or mix it with my existing hydra52's...

I know at first I thought it was overprice but honestly, I'm starting to change my mind, especially if it'll give enough light for a 48" long tank. It is essentially two kessil 360s built into a cool looking fixture and the added built WiFi for Android and iOS.

I know at first I thought it was overprice but honestly, I'm starting to change my mind, especially if it'll give enough light for a 48" long tank. It is essentially two kessil 360s built into a cool looking fixture and the added built WiFi for Android and iOS.
That's exactly how I thought of it
If you go with echtoech you will need 2 units to cover 48" that's 1400$
If you go with ai like I did, I needed 3 hydra 52's ~1800$
If you go with kessil 360 you will need 2 units and a controller >1000$
I think if indeed it can cover 48"(though I have my doubts) it's well worth the price.
Salt water......such an expensive hobby lol*

Oh one more thing, I do not think they have the android app for it yet. I think it's only ios now which suck cause I have android:((

If it really is essentially two 360s I don't see it having any issues covering a 48 x 24 tank. A friend of mine has 8 360s over a 96x48x24 tank and keeps SPS on the sand bed.

If it really is essentially two 360s I don't see it having any issues covering a 48 x 24 tank. A friend of mine has 8 360s over a 96x48x24 tank and keeps SPS on the sand bed.
From what the rep said at reefapalooza the a700 uses new chips that are way more then what the a360 can do, more light output and more spread. They had one in display over I believe a 90g and the thing was insane. I asked about cross braces being an issue and he said the overlap between the two lenses is designed to prevent any shadowing. Sure enough me and my buddy held our arms over the tank to simulate cross braces, no matter where we moved out arms it never had a shadow.

I thought the hydra 52s were advertised for a 36x36 spread. Never the less youd still need two so this really does come out cheaper, since you still have buy either a director or controller for the 52. I'm starting to think it's a great buy for a 48" long tank. I mean the diy light for my 20x20 is going to cost between $400-$450 so I guess $900 for a WiFi light that is good for a 48x24 is a good deal.

I thought the hydra 52s were advertised for a 36x36 spread. Never the less youd still need two so this really does come out cheaper, since you still have buy either a director or controller for the 52. I'm starting to think it's a great buy for a 48" long tank. I mean the diy light for my 20x20 is going to cost between $400-$450 so I guess $900 for a WiFi light that is good for a 48x24 is a good deal.

Yup that's my line of thinking.
As for the hydra, I was super suprised when I saw the covrage. For some reason 2 hydra's gave me blind spots which I didnot like, so I ended up getting a third one:).
The hydra is awsome, what I do not like about is is
Shimmer effect is not good like kessil
I cannot tune the colors to like what I saw on kessil tanks, the white in the hydra is bit overwhelming...

I saw a 20x20 tank last night with a kessil 360 and it was really nice and I love that it doesn't have any disco effect because I hate disco effect.

Yup that's my line of thinking.
As for the hydra, I was super suprised when I saw the covrage. For some reason 2 hydra's gave me blind spots which I didnot like, so I ended up getting a third one:).
The hydra is awsome, what I do not like about is is
Shimmer effect is not good like kessil
I cannot tune the colors to like what I saw on kessil tanks, the white in the hydra is bit overwhelming...

If you need 3 Hydra 52s on a 48" tank you'd need 3 Radions as well. You must have them mounted pretty low to have that many shadowing issues.

The width of the tank is important to note. If it's a 48" cube than you would need 4 just to get full coverage. Also depends on if they run front to back or side to side....

[flamealert]

Okay, let's get back to discussing the equipment in question. In the future, conversations work better if people don't make personal attacks on people based on what products they buy. A simple comment like, "it's very expensive for what it is" would be fine.

Back