Kill the lionfish?

Proud to have participated in the Lion Fish Safari held last year in Cozumel! Our group collected nearly 50 over 4-6 dives.

Was intended to raise awareness and give restaurants a new item for their menus! Hopefully to lessen the collection of over fished species.

As a lion fish fanatic l hate to read all this. I do however see the need to do something about the population and the problems being caused. Kinda a catch 22. I wish that more of these local lions were at lfs rather then the two babies l seen this morning.

As for how they got there, I heard at one time something about Hurricane Andrew was it and some big display tanks that broke maybe at private residence maybe at Bay of Biscayne or somesuch? I don't think the ballast transport theory would work for larval fish; jellies, zebra mussels, OK; predatory fish? Probably not.

It was one of my first fish a few decades ago, love 'em, very cool animal. Where they belong. When I think of non-native introduced things I think of German Cockroaches,
Norway or other non-native rats, House Mouse, fire ants, feral hogs and cats, West Nile Virus, kudzu and a hundred other plants, Starlings, House Sparrows, and I could go on and on...... These things never turn out well. No natural predators is a problem. They inevetably upset if not destroy the balance of nature. The cat is out of the bag.

Hope they get popular fried.

birdfish

I was just reading that out a bunch of lions, more than a quarter exceeded federal levels for a ciguatera. Most recently I heard that in June 2012. I was a fan of the "If you can't beat em, let's eat em" campaign originally, but not after hearing about the preliminary ciguatera data. I know certain areas are going to be more prone to the higher levels, but I wouldn't be able to confirm where the one on my plate came from.... pass.

Here are some NC caught Lions. They sure were tasty. I have not heard any poisoning reports from NC, but then again most dont eat them....

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

These were very large lions, caught offshore of Wilmington.

~Michael

Miller needs to do a commercial with the beer delivery guy complaining and eating some fried lionfish.

It certainly a booming problem... Ive noticed the numbers grow in the gulf thats for sure..
we been diving in cozumel several times over the last 5 years..last time we were there in november of last year our dive master brought up 3 in just one dive....I think we ended up with at least 5-6 on the boat that day... were going back in a few months so it should be interesting...Its a scary thing if you as me...they can and are going to do some serious damage to the eco systems there..

Oh and i haven't but would love to try some fried UP!!

Back