Kill the lionfish?

There are so many posts, I did not read them all. There was a program on tv reciently about this. Lionfish were introduced from the pet trade and it is said released by a few hobbyists ( for whatever reasons) back into the oceans in FL. It is said of these lionfish, you can trace lineage back to an original 9! They are prolific breeders, have no enemies in the area and eat any fish they can fit into their large mouths. They are litterally taking over and invading! The chart on the first page is correct. They have spread all the way north to Maine though do not live through winter there.
It is sad, but populations must be controlled or the native fish will not sustain. There are programs to reduce populations of the lionfish, encouragement of eating them, and scientists that monitor and study their habits.
Its human mistake to have released them into non-indigenous areas and now human who should be responsible to correct or at least control the issue IMO.

I don't know if it's possible to completely eradicate this invasive species, but I do my part to spear them every time I go diving (I live in Florida). I been diving and have had large snappers actually lead me to lionfish. Once the lionfish were speared, the snappers gobbled them up, but only after they were speared.

I don't know if it's possible to completely eradicate this invasive species, but I do my part to spear them every time I go diving (I live in Florida). I been diving and have had large snappers actually lead me to lionfish. Once the lionfish were speared, the snappers gobbled them up, but only after they were speared.

It sounds cruel, but you are actually doing a "nessisary evil" and good deed by helping control the populations.
interesting the snappers do that. I guess in the tank or in the wild, fish can learn that humans provide food lol.

Its sad to have such a beautiful fish be such a nuisance. I really want to catch one and fry it up now, save the other fishies and get a good meal, hopefully something happens to slow them down

they are an invasive species without predators that is wrecking the natural ecosystem off the east coast of the us and the carribean...

Ceviche.... :beachbum:

Lionfish Taco's
Cedar Plank Lion
Panko crusted lion medallions with a lemon/tarragon aioli
Fried Lion w/grits
Lionfish lo-mein
Lion stuffed with andoullie and smoked provolone

I'm gettin hungry....

safe eats?

safe eats?

There are some reports of ciguatera in Lionfish ...around Caribbean / St John USVI.

I'd treat them like barracuda and only eat the smaller ones.

And if your arm goes numb after eating it ...throw it up quick:eek:

There are some reports of ciguatera in Lionfish ...around Caribbean / St John USVI.

I'd treat them like barracuda and only eat the smaller ones.

And if your arm goes numb after eating it ...throw it up quick:eek:

Ciguatera is a potential issue with any predatory fish species, including the commercially popular groupers and snappers. As it is also typically locale specific, knowing the reef the fish came from is important in order to avoid it. Homebody sorts of fish like groupers and lionfish would be very low risk from a reef known not to have ciguatera, while species that are known for occasionally wandering far from home, such as Barracuda, are much higher risk even on a known safe reef.

They're taking over the Gulf as well. A guy here who does rig dives sees them everywhere in abundance now.

We should start a rumor that they are a potent aphrodesiac. That might do the trick.

Hi all,
Even here in Fiji we have heard that the lionfish are now an invasive species in the US Gulf / Carribean areas,
The speculation was that it was released by aquarists, but a marine biologist I know said it was more likely that the fry came in ships ballast water as they are too numerous and wide spread for intentional or accidental release.

To bad as they really have no natural predators in the Atlantic Gulf area, and I think they will eliminate any fish species they can swallow, and the Atlantic species would have no defence.

They started out as very few and very localized. It took a few years before the spread just all of suddenly became explosive. There have also been genetic analysis done that show all these lionfish started out from all of 6 parents. While ballast water has certainly spread numerous critters, larval fish are the least likely to survive the dark ballast tanks for time required to get here from the Pacific...they'll starve in a very short period of time without being able to see to eat.

i shouldn't read posts like this - now i'm hungry and i want a vacation

Here ya go!

lions3.jpg

lions1.jpg

lions2-1.jpg

:beer:

This past weekend I saw a TV infomercial about eating them. They said the best way to get them is with a Hawaiian Sling. Then staying underwater cutting the venomous spines with a good knife or scissors. Then either collecting them to cook or even to cut them up so the other fish know how to get them. Like the snappers...

This past weekend I saw a TV infomercial about eating them. They said the best way to get them is with a Hawaiian Sling. Then staying underwater cutting the venomous spines with a good knife or scissors. Then either collecting them to cook or even to cut them up so the other fish know how to get them. Like the snappers...

A pole spear is pretty convenient for lion fish. While it's still impaled it's easy to cut the spines of with a pair of EMS shears, then bag 'em. A knife? Not so much! The fish in the pic still have their spines, not so safe IMO.

http://dixiediver.com/shopping/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=219&cat=Spearfishing+Accessories

Back