Kirk's double in-wall 2 x's 400+ gallon fish room

kirkaz

Jade
Six years ago my wife and I purchased a lot with intentions to build a custom home. I knew I wanted a very large reef tank, however I realized I didn't want to give up the Angels and Triggers that drew me into the hobby, the natural conclusion"¦"¦2 big tanks!! The build got delayed, moved, and pretty slow all around, but the finish line is near. Hope to be moving in at the end of June, tanks being delivered tomorrow.

Originally had the reef planned for 10x4x2.5, however when my wife and our architect decided it would be great to have the game room/fish room on the second floor:headwallblue:"¦..well, I decided I better scale it down a little bit for my own comfort.

I had ATM and Titan price them out, ATM was a bit spendy and delivery kills you. Titan is local and better priced and builds a very nice tank, but in the end I went with SouthWest Seas, for a project like this, I was happy that Mark Parks (owner) will be overseeing everything, and has worked very closely with my builder.

Challenges-A. Being on the second floor. I don't even want to know the dollar amount we spent to get the needed support for these! I know they are safe, but still wish they would've been downstairs. B Split second story. This was done to allow taller ceilings in the living room below. The aquarium service room is 2 feet lower than where the tanks are. We compensated by building a platform for the sumps.

Tank 1
5x5x2.5 FOWLR roughly 465 gallon. 3 visible sides, peninsula you could say. Will be viewable as you walk up the stairs.

I'm really excited about the dimensions of this tank, fairly uncommon, though I hope won't be too challenging to work on. Certainly thought it was better as a swim tank than a reef tank. All my current 240 inhabitants will go to this tank, several I've had for 7 years now.

Planned equipment (nothing ordered, subject to change).

I know it's out of style, but we are doing a good old fashioned Trickle Down Wet/Dry sump on this. I really like the simplicity of this, I'm not horribly worried about nitrates in a FOWLR, I have 14 years worth of nitrates.
Skimmer-LifeReef VS3-48 I wanted to do in-sump, I don't think there is more bang for your buck on the market
Lights-Leaning toward 5 Kessill A360 W, 1 at each corner, and one in the middle
2 Vortech MP 60's
Ozone-definitely doing, not sure which model.
Return-Mag 24
Apex controller of some sort.
Auto Top Off
At this point, no reactors or other exciting stuff. I will likely dose vodka.

Tank 2

8x3x2.5 (roughly 450 gallon) Mixed Reef. Only one visible panel sitting behind the bar. Plan to keep the fish bio load light in here. Maybe a few Tangs for algae control, in general a bunch of Anthia, reef safe Wrasses, Gobies, Blennies and so on. My must have fish (down the road), are Leopard Wrasses, and Mandarins.

72 inch, 3 chamber sump with refugium.
Lights-AI Hydra 52, 8 total. Lined up 4x2. Again, not ordered yet, so I'm open to suggestions and change
Skimmer-LifeReef VS3-48
1 Vortech MP 60. I wish I could do 2, but one end of the tank is really not accessible. Would love to do a couple MP 40's at the back, but won't work with the 1 inch acrylic.
Return-Probably doing a Reeflo Hammerhead, and then do a closed loop with another Hammerhead
Ozone-Yes, model TBD
Apex Controller
Auto Top Off
Not really sure what I'm doing for reactors and whatnot. Calcium? Dosing pump? Hoping for some thoughts here.

A few pictures up next

The guy that owns the framing company insisted on building the stands. He wanted total control of anything requiring support I guess you could say. Had never done one before, but I would say I was really impressed"¦..I think it took them about 2 hours. These babies look solid to me.

The FOWLR 5x5

The 8x3 Reef

This is the newly tiled fish room. My wife wanted to NEVER SEE ANY FISH JUNK AGAIN! There will be a sink with RODI against the far wall. Plenty of room for 2 QT/Frag tanks, even a little freezer in the adjacent storage room. This was the only room in the house I had full autonomy of color selection"¦..Ocean Blue it is!!!

Once the tanks are installed the framers will come back in to build above the tanks, I will ask for something to allow the lights to drop down from. Then drywall, and our cabinet guy will make doors that match the bar above the tank, this will allow me access from the front, and still look really clean.

I don't see any allowance for sumps under those stands so I am guessing you have a fishroom somewhere, yes?

Dave.M

Delivery Day!!!

Our General Contractor has been stressing about this for awhile now, but it really couldn't have gone smoother. The lift operator was a real pro, and we had 3 extra guys doing floors downstairs to help lift them into place.

Mark is a brave man, considering he had never met the lift operator, but he wasn't going to let a tank slide.

Safely in place! Leaving some protection around them as they still need to do a lot to finish the walls around them. I apologize, I think my camera was having issues focusing with the glare from the plastic.

We did external overflows, Mark will drill once we decide exactly how we want them set up. Again, sorry for the poor photography, the Rebel is a better camera than I am a photographer, I'll work on it.

They come in Friday to frame around the tanks, finalize and order equipment next week....Sumps are done, but at Mark's shop for now. Will be a little slow the next few weeks, but a lot more to come.

Awesome build. My move in date is august and we are building scottsdsle. dC Ranch. Congrats!

DC Ranch is beautiful, my brother and sister in law live there as well as our Gen. Contractor. I used to work for DMB (DC's developer). We are building in Peoria, anxious to get out of Surprise.

The framers came in and framed around the tanks. Now the Cabinet guy will make panels to finish.

Here is the cabinet guy's basic rendition of what it will look like

Here is the design of that section of the house

Last edited:
Lighting opinions needed!!

Ordered the LifeReef Skimmers, met with Mark today about other equipment, on the 8x3 reef, he really thinks I will be fine with 6 A.I. Hydra 52's, my initial thought was 8. I called A.I. and spoke to a tech person (who knows how qualified) he said 6 would be good, 8 would be great.

Would love to hear some opinions. I don't want overkill, but I don't want to wish I had done more and feel I need to.

I've been using Radion Gen 1s for several years now, and I'm happy with them.
I replaced dual 250 HQI powered XM10k SE bulbs in Sunlight Supply LumenMax reflectors over my 120 gallon (48x24x24). I have H.magnifica anemones that did not move or change behavior or appearance under the Gen 1 Radions being run at the 12k setting (all channels at 100%), the entire fixture running at 80% overall intensity. I was still getting SPS growth down low on the bottom of the tank,(Tank was run bare bottom, no substrate).
I dont have experiance with AI fixtures, so I cannot speak from experiance or compare the two.

However, I do know that AI was purchased by Eco-Tech just a few years ago.

I would bet that with the 30 inch depth of your tank, Radion Gen 3 Pro's would be perfect for your needs.

I've been using Radion Gen 1s for several years now, and I'm happy with them.
I replaced dual 250 HQI powered XM10k SE bulbs in Sunlight Supply LumenMax reflectors over my 120 gallon (48x24x24). I have H.magnifica anemones that did not move or change behavior or appearance under the Gen 1 Radions being run at the 12k setting (all channels at 100%), the entire fixture running at 80% overall intensity. I was still getting SPS growth down low on the bottom of the tank,(Tank was run bare bottom, no substrate).
I dont have experiance with AI fixtures, so I cannot speak from experiance or compare the two.

However, I do know that AI was purchased by Eco-Tech just a few years ago.

I would bet that with the 30 inch depth of your tank, Radion Gen 3 Pro's would be perfect for your needs.

Radions are great, but I just don't see any advantage they have over the Hydras, and the Radions are noticeably more expensive. I believe it was a merger of the 2 companies, not an outright purchase.

How many are you running on your 120?

I'm running two on the 120, but I'm planning on upgrading them to Gen 3's, (not the Gen 3 Pro's) soon.

I'm not familiar with the AI's so I didnt realize that they less expensive than the Radions. My apologies.

However, I will point one thing out...

I realize that everyone has a budget and money is not limitless, no matter the build or project. Having said that, with the amount of money you've already spent on getting this particular project off the ground and getting it set up...Whatever lighting you get is probably going to be just a small part of it, especially for just one tank.

Since this is your project and you've spent ALOT of time researching this, I would suggest you purchase whatever lighting you feel is best for your tank. If that ends being Radions and they are more expensive, then so be it. If that happens to be ten 400 watt Radium MH fixtures hand made by Virgin Unicorns from the Isle of Skye....then so be it.
If it ends up being a DIY kit that costs you $10 and provides what you need and want, then go for it.

If you feel that the Radions provide no advantage over the AI's except costing more, then I will defer to your research in this matter. When I purchased my Radions, AI was still a separate company and the cost was similar to the Gen 1 Radions, I preferred the look of the Radions and went with them. That was about 4 years ago and things have certainly changed since then.

Will you be running a sand bed in the reef or going BB? If you're running a sand bed, what depth will you be running it at...what depth will the lights need to penetrate down to?

With regards to the Radions, whats the difference between the Gen 3 and the Gen 3 pro? Are the pros worth the extra cost?

Back