Known species to nip at SPS' polyps

redcable

Hi sifus, I'm newbie in this SPS world which are very addicting. Therefore, I would like to know which fish/invertebrate that known to nip/disturb SPS polyps. I have a bicolor blenny that seems to nip at SPS. :bounce3:

any species can possibly nip corals.

but angels, butterfly, some crabs, are known to nip SPS more.

shrimp ... mine has never done that, but there are some that have ... individual taste Id say ... like the blenny.

Yellow Clown Goby was tearing up my Red Planet in the main tank. Moved him to a nano tank and the RP looks way better.

All angels but Genicanthus. Any tang, but not so much with Bristletooths and Chocolate. Any butterfly.

Anthias, Genicanthus Angelfish, X Triggers, Damselfish and Clowns are safe bets IME.

Ive had a few angels over the years and they all went after my spa. Ive even had a few tangs go a little nuts. Usually I do lots of research before buying anything, if someone has had a problem Im sure you can find it in a simple google search.

Any tang, but not so much with Bristletooths and Chocolate.

I disagree. My kole tang and chocolate tang ate all the flesh off several acros, including a was beautiful tort colony. They tagged team them as I watched in horror. They seemed to prefer acro flesh over the abundant algae and even nori sheets.

When it was clear this wasn't a one time thing they went to the LFS.

depends, could be anything. nothing is safe. however, butterflies and angels are notorious for being sps eaters.

My bicolor blenny seemed to like to taste some montis and some acros but never did real harm, could just see some light round bite marks and some polyps that were retracted. He has since quit after a couple months.

Green Clown Goby. He would dive into the SPS and take a bite of the polyps. Once he was removed PE became normal after a day or so.

Mexican Turbo Snail. I know this sounds strange. But for some weeks the bases of some of the SPS in my tank would have white areas...kind of like STN, but not quite.

I checked all parameters etc and couldnt figure it out. Around this time, I have an assortment of 14 snails in my tank, Astreas, Trochus etc and the one big Mexican Turbo snail. A large phosphate battle had just been overcome and algae growth become almost nil.

So i started to watch every fish, critters etc. I then one day noticed my Mexican Turbo snail grazing on the rock right near the base of an acro. The snail got closer and closer and to my amazement, I saw him graze on the SPS flesh near the base. He left the grazed areas as white. It didnt stop there! He almost half mounted the SPS frag and started to graze the middle of the frag. Leaving whitish areas! :worried2:

After removing him, all the affected acros recovered. I did read of one other person on this forum suspect their hungry Astreas in their frag tank do this, whilst the connected display was fine.

I disagree. My kole tang and chocolate tang ate all the flesh off several acros, including a was beautiful tort colony. They tagged team them as I watched in horror. They seemed to prefer acro flesh over the abundant algae and even nori sheets.

When it was clear this wasn't a one time thing they went to the LFS.

I agree, mine mine nip constantly. Never ate the flesh, but constantly "mouthing" the acros

So, all the angels and butterflies i see in all those TOTM tanks were a gamble+luck then, I thought we can keep angels in a SPS dominant tank. Hmmmm....

Yellow Clown Goby was tearing up my Red Planet in the main tank. Moved him to a nano tank and the RP looks way better.

X2 on the yellow clown goby. Some are model citizens but the second one I added to the tank literally attacked my SPS. Saw him out of the corner of my eye while I was eating dinner one night, shooting from one colony/frag to the next picking at it. First I had a few that wouldn't extend polyps and by week two or so after getting him nothing was extending polyps.

Regardless of what people say, if you have cherished SPS colonies in your tank I recommend avoiding clown gobies.

So, all the angels and butterflies i see in all those TOTM tanks were a gamble+luck then, I thought we can keep angels in a SPS dominant tank. Hmmmm....

I'm going to add a cherub angel pretty soon. From everything I read the risk is minimal with the pygmy angels for SPS but not so with LPS.

That, as well as the fact that with numerous large colonies, the damage is manageable and spread out. Whereas a tank with frags will really suffer.

No one has mentioned emerald crabs, the beloved member of most clean up crews and savior from bubble algae also in some tanks has been known to go for SPS polyps. I have heard of/seen/owned emerald crabs that had a taste for SPS. Do a youtube search and there are some videos on there of such.

Note, some people think that all of the instances where "reef safe" critters become "unsafe" is because their diets/food source are not substantial enough and the SPS colonies they go after are in fact unhealthy and dying already. I am NOT in this camp of thinking.

No one has mentioned emerald crabs, the beloved member of most clean up crews and savior from bubble algae also in some tanks has been known to go for SPS polyps. I have heard of/seen/owned emerald crabs that had a taste for SPS. Do a youtube search and there are some videos on there of such.

Note, some people think that all of the instances where "reef safe" critters become "unsafe" is because their diets/food source are not substantial enough and the SPS colonies they go after are in fact unhealthy and dying already. I am NOT in this camp of thinking.

I think the Emerald Crab is an example of cases where it could be either way: I have an EC in my tank at the moment. I've had them before too. Only once did I have a problem with EC's; that was in my nano; which became very clean, no algae etc, and the EC was quite large. He started to mess around with my SPS. My SPS were very healthy etc. In a tank without sufficient food, they have no choice but to try and eat something.

My current tank is much larger than my nano tank, and the rocks do have bits of algae here and there.

Back