KP Live Rock Hitchhiker ID

farfromsea

Got the premium aquacultured live rock from KP Aquatics today.

Is this a green sponge or a macro algae? What is its name?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 20230524_115417_resized.jpg
    20230524_115417_resized.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 54
It seems to strongly resemble Codium but it grows as single tubes unlike the branching species I saw online. I had looked up neomeris before because the KP website said it could be that but it lacks that white base structure I see in images online...

I'm back with a tank again and quite excited to be starting up!

That is quite different than my codium although I am sure there are probably different varieties. I don't really have a good guess as to what it is however. It looks cool though!
Yes I researched and it seems like they are more pacific. But a specific species was introduced and now invasive in the keys. Perhaps I should just ask KP!

just read that neomeris macro can become invasive. if true then you'll probably want to consider that.

of course i'm in no way an expert in macros so take that with a grain of salt

Any thoughts on this ID? Porites coral skeleton? Very zoomed in the structure in its entirety is about the diameter of a quarter.
20230529_164257_resized.jpg

For me it’s honestly hard to tell with skeletons but I think that one’s fairly common on the rock just not sure what it is

Porites is VERY common on KP rock.
Yes so it seems! I am pretty sure this is a skeleton doesn't seem fleshy. From what I read the porites don't seem to last long after arrive but they ship with UPS in water now so there might be more luck in recent years.

I disagree. My KP rock was shipped dry a couple years ago and I have a ton of Porites😉

Back again with a new unusual find on my KP rock. Not the faintest clue what it is... color is true to what the eye sees under my blue LEDs (used an orange filter). Growing on the underside of the rock that forms the "roof/ceiling" of my rock cave.

20230722_235452.jpg

Back