KP Live Rock Hitchhiker ID

Reviving my old thread because the weirdest thing crawled across my glass. My first guess is it is a limpet. It is HUGE and has two protusions at its head that resemble the bunny ears of a sea hare.

It was moving fast and my camera filter was downstairs so please excuse the poor image quality and algae on the glass
VideoCapture_20231008-230843.jpg

VideoCapture_20231008-230949.jpg

Reviving my old thread because the weirdest thing crawled across my glass. My first guess is it is a limpet. It is HUGE and has two protusions at its head that resemble the bunny ears of a sea hare.

It was moving fast and my camera filter was downstairs so please excuse the poor image quality and algae on the glass
View attachment 32391645

View attachment 32391646
Wow, not a limpet. Like griss just beat me to - some kind of nudi.

Thanks for the ID, everyone :)

Yes I WISH it ate algae there is so much algae in here. No idea what it eats. It is fast moving. It is some sort of flatworm you're right but I can't figure out the species there isn't a species identification site out here on the Internet that I can find. Most ID requests seem to be for ones with more ostentatious colors and mine is just dalmation-like in coloring.

I thought I had seen it a month or two ago. It was dark though and I just saw a grey blob. This is the first time it went on a tour of the tank in front of me!

Mildly creepy to think there could be other hidden creatures in here. I know there is a pistol shrimp that I've never seen yet hear snap nightly...

Google euphyllia eating flatworm and see if it looks like them. They are larger and a pest of frogspawn, hammers and torch corals.

Not a great picture but it looks like a Leopard Polyclad Flatworm. I would remove incase.
Oh wow maybe...I did have quite a few dead snails. My flatworm is more grey white than brown. Maybe if I buy it more snails I can catch it. It gives me the creeps.

Essentially. I used a turkey baster to get him off the walls and free floating. Then a gloved hand and small bowl to scoop it out. Make sure pumps are off

With regards to the pumps off, I only meant when trying to get it out. They blow around quite easily when free floating

Wow that is all really cool. I really wish I started off with a ton of something like Tampa or KP live rock. I'd probably not add anything else in the tank for the first 6-12 months just having fun looking for and catching hitchhikers as necessary.

Oh, and I'd definitely remove that enormous flat work too.

And that snapping, may be a pistol shrimp like you said or could be a mantis which are cool but would want a separate tank for those. I had a 20g for a mantis for many years till it died of old age. Very fun critter to keep.

Wow that is all really cool. I really wish I started off with a ton of something like Tampa or KP live rock. I'd probably not add anything else in the tank for the first 6-12 months just having fun looking for and catching hitchhikers as necessary.

Oh, and I'd definitely remove that enormous flat work too.

And that snapping, may be a pistol shrimp like you said or could be a mantis which are cool but would want a separate tank for those. I had a 20g for a mantis for many years till it died of old age. Very fun critter to keep.
I thought of a mantis too but a LFS had one and it was a brave and voracious eater at feeding time. Because this one is so shy and secretive I'm learning pistol :)

I highly recommend KP or Tampa although I've never used the latter personally. The flatworm is gross gives me the creeps. My mithrax crab hitchhiker is giant now!

Back