KP Live Rock Hitchhiker ID

You should plan for something to come along with any rock cultured in the oceans. My rock stayed in tubs so I could go through before putting in my tank. Dudly made me set up a five gallon tank for him. He was cool. I'd never want to have to tear down a tank to find him.
Just discovered Dudley's cousin must have come in on my KP rock that I got in 2018. He must have been tiny when the rock arrived because I never saw him until the other night. I haven't noticed him causing any issues but I might have to trap him and put him in the fuge.

Just discovered Dudley's cousin must have come in on my KP rock that I got in 2018. He must have been tiny when the rock arrived because I never saw him until the other night. I haven't noticed him causing any issues but I might have to trap him and put him in the fuge.
You too? I just pulled Dudley’s niece or nephew from my wife’s tank. Had snail shells piling up but couldn’t find him. She finally spotted him. Set the regular food in a cup trap but he somehow escaped out of it (he was in it when I checked it, gone by the time I got to getting it out). Tonight used the bottle trap and got him. He is now residing in my sump with the pencil urchins.

IMG_0016.jpeg

Too funny. I did remove several gorilla crabs when I got the rock. This one must have been tiny and hidden deep in the rock. Haven’t seen him since the other day. Only one sighting so far and he was about the size of an adult Sally Lightfoot.

Too funny. I did remove several gorilla crabs when I got the rock. This one must have been tiny and hidden deep in the rock. Haven’t seen him since the other day. Only one sighting so far and he was about the size of an adult Sally Lightfoot.
This one’s only about a nickel size carapace but he’s been in that tank since 2021 or so

Yea most crabs and mantis do no damage when they are small. They crawl around in the holes in the rocks eating pods and worms.
When they get big they can be destructive but so many just are smaller varieties but so many panic when they see them.

Pistol shrimp are the same and most varieties are very small. There are some that can get large and can be destructive.

I just think people forget there are hundreds of different varieties of these things and sometimes only a small percent are a problem.

Its like isopods everyone freaks' out over them but most people have them in their reefs. I would bet it would be hard to find a reef without a Munnid isopod.

Last edited:
Back