KP Live Rock Hitchhiker ID

Real live rock is very fascinating. I really miss the old days of Fiji, Tonga, Namoli, Marshall Is, etc. live rock being available. But, IMO, KP’s rock is very close and, I’ve heard TBS is as good or better.

There are many small shy mantis too. It is a good chance that it's a pistol shrimp though. Both would be fun to have. I had a tiger pistol paired up with a yellow watchman goby. Fun couple.

For more on stomatopods we had a foremost expert on this form that has a lot of good content.

I've had my KP rock for 5 years now and it's still awesome. I have always heard that tell tale clicking/snapping sound but have never seen the pistol or mantis that is making the noise. Like Jason, I agree it's likely a pistol shrimp.

It's tough out here on RC. I hadn't been on for about 7 years and came back to a ghost town!

Here is a pic of my hitchhiker crab. He is massive. Lepto-encrusted frag plug for scale lol

Attachments

• 20231012_094334.jpg
    20231012_094334.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
It's tough out here on RC. I hadn't been on for about 7 years and came back to a ghost town!

Here is a pic of my hitchhiker crab. He is massive. Lepto-encrusted frag plug for scale lol
Lol, dude you got everything. Maybe the crab will prune that flatworm for you.

The guy is 80, give him a break. :LOL:
Oh, I didn't know his age. Just remember reading a lot of his posts on here over the years. I've always been intrigued by mantis shrimp since I had one that arrived on Fiji live rock back in the 90s. It was a smaller one about 1-1.2" and I would hand feed it. Wouldn't mind having another but don't want to set up a separate tank for it.

Real live rock is very fascinating. I really miss the old days of Fiji, Tonga, Namoli, Marshall Is, etc. live rock being available. But, IMO, KP’s rock is very close and, I’ve heard TBS is as good or better.

The life on Florida Aquacultured rock is amazing. I find the shapes a little boring and they are heavy.
I been hearing TBS is starting some Walt Smith rock again.

Live rock can be had again. Walt is shipping his aquacultured Rock again from Fiji and there are various places shipping Australian rock now. The Australian rock looks super nice but ouch expensive. More and More places are caring it.

I think part is people are catching on to the advantages of biodiversity. Also I think people are realizing mining dead rock can be more harmful to the environment than picking up some live rock.

The life on Florida Aquacultured rock is amazing. I find the shapes a little boring and they are heavy.

Live rock can be had again. Walt is shipping his aquacultured Rock again from Fiji and there are various places shipping Australian rock now. The Australian rock looks super nice but ouch expensive. More and More places are caring it.

I think part is people are catching on to the advantages of biodiversity. Also I think people are realizing mining dead rock can be more harmful to the environment than picking up some live rock.
Agree on all fronts David. That's the one knock I have on my KP rock, shapes and weight.

I thought Fiji banned exports of live rock?

I thought Fiji banned exports of live rock?
Yes, they banned "wild" live rock. But Walt is aquaculturing rock that's being imported.

You should plan for something to come along with any rock cultured in the oceans. My rock stayed in tubs so I could go through before putting in my tank. Dudly made me set up a five gallon tank for him. He was cool. I'd never want to have to tear down a tank to find him.

You should plan for something to come along with any rock cultured in the oceans. My rock stayed in tubs so I could go through before putting in my tank. Dudly made me set up a five gallon tank for him. He was cool. I'd never want to have to tear down a tank to find him.
I bought a pistol shrimp from KPA who turned out to be a murderer. I was able to catch Rice Krispies in a DIY bottle trap however and he is happily residing in my sump.

Back