Large Cube Tank. Need Lighting Opinions

JaySchulz

Hopefully the photo posts. Tank should be here in the next few weeks and I'm trying to figure out some of the final decisions. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on my lighting as I can't make up my mind.

Deminsions are 72"L x 69"W x 24"T Peninsula. Rock work will be atleast 6" from any glass pane except for maybe the back pane. Tank will be predominantly SPS with scattered LPS and Softies.

I'm planning on going with MH as my primary light source with T5 supplementation. The two options that I'm considering is either the Hamilton Cozumel or Coral Vue Lumen Bright 250 watt mogul end with either 14k or 20k bulbs. Not sure what light will give me the better spread as I'm new to MH. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on which pendant to use. Next question is how I should arrange lights. A few ideas I've had is

-4 MH fixtures (one on each corner) with a 60" 8 bulb ATI T5 fixture in the middle

-6 MH fixtures in 3 rows of 2 fixtures with a 60" 8 bulb ATI T5 fixture in the middle

-2 60" 8 bulb ATI T5 fixtures one either side of the tank with 2 or 3 MH fixtures in the middle

I'm open to everyone's opinion and would love some feedback. Thanks!

You did not mention a budget.

Those thoughts are good. If you would consider a fixture, a pair of Giesmann Spectras or Hamilton Cebu sun come in 6' variety with 3x MH and T5s in a tidy package. They are no cheap, but as you know with a larger tank... nothing is.

You did not mention a budget.

Those thoughts are good. If you would consider a fixture, a pair of Giesmann Spectras or Hamilton Cebu sun come in 6' variety with 3x MH and T5s in a tidy package. They are no cheap, but as you know with a larger tank... nothing is.

Let's say $3,000 on budget. I don't really have one but at the same time I'm not going to go and spend $6000 on 8 radions.

I have actually seriously considered both lights and they would be roughly the same price as buying the pendants, ballast, T5 fixture all separately. The only reason I've leaned towards buying them separately is because the lights will be hidden in a canopy (built to ceiling). Also individually I have more control of the light because I can move each individual pendant to cover a spot in the tank better or take away and add light more freely.

Haha your definitely right on large tanks not being cheap. I originally thought I could do everything for a lot less.

Totally do DIY if you have a canopy or can hide them.

Make sure that you build in some vents and fans and you will be golden.

I really like the larger Hamilton Reflectors to spread... Cozumel Sun is a good one.

I use 250W Radiums on M80 ballasts and they don't even need T5s. You might need the T5s to cover a bit more of the darker areas with such a wide tank. I would do T5s to match the color of the radiums so that you don't even have to run them if you don't want. 10K bulbs with actinics make for a nice look, but then have to have everything on all of the time or else your tank is too blue or too yellow... although the Hamilton 10K is really nice and white.

Totally do DIY if you have a canopy or can hide them.

Make sure that you build in some vents and fans and you will be golden.

I really like the larger Hamilton Reflectors to spread... Cozumel Sun is a good one.

I use 250W Radiums on M80 ballasts and they don't even need T5s. You might need the T5s to cover a bit more of the darker areas with such a wide tank. I would do T5s to match the color of the radiums so that you don't even have to run them if you don't want. 10K bulbs with actinics make for a nice look, but then have to have everything on all of the time or else your tank is too blue or too yellow... although the Hamilton 10K is really nice and white.

Do you think I need 6 with my dimensions lined up in 3 rows or 2?

I can also do retrofit T5 in the middle of the MH rows and then a 2 bulb retrofit on both sides of the tank.

Like you said, it will depend on how you do the rock work and corals. You have the nice ability to only put pendants over the needed areas and can let the rest go into the shadows (or just be lit with T5s).

You also have the awesome ability to add more down the road with ease.

Do you have a plan for "reef" and open areas?

Like you said, it will depend on how you do the rock work and corals. You have the nice ability to only put pendants over the needed areas and can let the rest go into the shadows (or just be lit with T5s).

You also have the awesome ability to add more down the road with ease.

Do you have a plan for "reef" and open areas?

Very good advice. I'll start with 4 and see how things work. I should receive my rock on Monday and I'm going to start laying it out. This is the first tank I've had that allows some width to create a more natural scape. Planning on being lighter on the rock work to allow the coral to fill the tank plus I would like a lot of visible sand. I really appreciate the help by the way. Sometimes you need step back from the project and get someone else's opinion. For some reason I was killing my self over whether I'd need 4 or 6 MH.

Wow.... What an amazing set up man!! Please keep the pictures coming, I'm definitely excited to see this one come together!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wow.... What an amazing set up man!! Please keep the pictures coming, I'm definitely excited to see this one come together!

Thanks bud. I'm pretty excited as well! I'll start a build tread in the next couple weeks as the tank completion gets closer. Currently I'm ripping out the drywall in the ceiling above the tank and putting hardie backer to resist moisture. Just installed a 120 pint whole home dehumidifier so I don't have moisture problems. Electrician is adding a sub panel dedicated for the tank so I don't have any power problems. And lastly the stand and canopy frame is about to be built as soon as my carpenter finishes my wife's fancy new pantry. Haha it had perfectly good shelfs but I guess canned food needs to have its own shelf and bread needs its own drawer or something like that.

Who's building the tank?

Are you on Marsh?

Customaquariums.com and so far I've been completely satisfied with the build process. They even called me on Monday to say that their guy found a small blemish less than a 1/16th of an inch on one of the panels and wanted to know if I wanted to continue with a discount or change the panel. I probably would of never seen it because it's such a small blemish but the fact that they called really impressed me.

I'm a member of MARSH but not active at all. This is the only forum I get on. Are you in Houston?

Great size of a tank! If I were in your shoes and had a canopy to hide it all I would do the 6 mh's and then have retrofit t5's inside and on the outside. I would probably try to go with 6 60" t5's and run three blue + and three led bar t5's that aquarium specialty sells, this way you can get the blue led pop and run it dusk/dawn.

Lumen max elite is what I would try to get pendent wise. Radium bulb's, 250w or 400w would work but you'll be more than enough with the t5 supplement so just go with 250's.

Depending on rockwork you could get by with 2/4 fixtures. I have a 48/48/24 cube with a single 400 radium on it. 90% of my rock is directly under it and lower light corals are on the outside. Seems to work well. Tank is frags now, so as it grows things might change, but might not.

Corey

Thanks bud. I'm pretty excited as well! I'll start a build tread in the next couple weeks as the tank completion gets closer. Currently I'm ripping out the drywall in the ceiling above the tank and putting hardie backer to resist moisture. Just installed a 120 pint whole home dehumidifier so I don't have moisture problems. Electrician is adding a sub panel dedicated for the tank so I don't have any power problems. And lastly the stand and canopy frame is about to be built as soon as my carpenter finishes my wife's fancy new pantry. Haha it had perfectly good shelfs but I guess canned food needs to have its own shelf and bread needs its own drawer or something like that.
Yeah start the build thread for sure! If you haven't already purchased the Hardie Backer, consider using Green Board, it's basically moisture resistant sheetrock and works just as well but is a little easier to install :) Congrats again on all the progress so far! I won't be showing my wife the pictures of your custom pantry, otherwise mine will be all over my *** to do the same thing. And do me a favor and keep that **** off of Pinterest. Haha

I'd go 4x hamilton cabo sun retros with 250w radiums ran by m80 ballasts. in a custom built canopy. I'd add some t5 retrofits in there to give you some supplemental light but with this setup you will have plenty of light and budget to get the canopy done.

No way I would use lumenmax elite reflectors on this tank. They're way too focused for the size tank.

Back