Large Cube Tank. Need Lighting Opinions

I'd go 4x hamilton cabo sun retros with 250w radiums ran by m80 ballasts. in a custom built canopy. I'd add some t5 retrofits in there to give you some supplemental light but with this setup you will have plenty of light and budget to get the canopy done.

No way I would use lumenmax elite reflectors on this tank. They're way too focused for the size tank.

Agreed!

Yeah start the build thread for sure! If you haven't already purchased the Hardie Backer, consider using Green Board, it's basically moisture resistant sheetrock and works just as well but is a little easier to install :) Congrats again on all the progress so far! I won't be showing my wife the pictures of your custom pantry, otherwise mine will be all over my *** to do the same thing. And do me a favor and keep that **** off of Pinterest. Haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yea I'll take a look at green board too. I'm not sure what the differences are between all the moisture resistant boards.

Haha I'm pretty sure my wife has posted pics of it on every social media site there is.

I'd go 4x hamilton cabo sun retros with 250w radiums ran by m80 ballasts. in a custom built canopy. I'd add some t5 retrofits in there to give you some supplemental light but with this setup you will have plenty of light and budget to get the canopy done.

No way I would use lumenmax elite reflectors on this tank. They're way too focused for the size tank.

This is probably what I'll do after looking at the Cabo sun retros. I'm not sure on the radiums though. It's hard to tell in pictures but they always look a bit to blue for my liking. I'm new to MH and I've never seen a tank with radiums in person.

I looked up the lumenmax elites and the article on advanced aquarist talked about them being a spotlight so they are out.

It's hard to get a feel for them over the internet. It would be awesome if we could find someone close to you so you could go check them out. Most often the white balance on the photos are all messed up. It is pretty hard to get an accurate photo.

There is a huge thread from back in the day devoted to radiums. On the right ballast (m80) they have a very crisp white/blue color that is just about impossible to show with a camera. It's not overwhelming, very pleasing to the eye.

Here is the thread and a few photos out of the first few pages that have pretty good color rendition. They are nothing like that annoying blue LED look.

You would have a hard time convincing me to go with another combo. The color, output, and life expectancy is great. Plus you won't need a whole lot of t5 supplement. I only run t5 blue+ for early and late viewing.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1496177

015copy.jpg

068-1.jpg

023-4.jpg

IMG_75562.jpg

In person, the Radiums have a crisp white appearance in the water, but the really pop the corals. They are not all that blue. I use them on M80 as well, but the can shift to more blue when on electronic or magnetic m58 ballasts. Ballasts matter.

They are not the windex look.

Back