Large Tank on Laminate Flooring

Spyderturbo007

I'm wondering if anyone has a large aquarium on laminate flooring? I'm considering either a 160 or a 240g tank for my basement. The laminate is laid over an underlayment on concrete.

I'm not concerned about the weight of the aquarium since it's over concrete, nor am I concerned about water. The laminate I purchased includes a 72h water warranty and is supposed to be able to handle spills. They literally say that it's great for a bathroom.

Anyway, what I am concerned about is the weight of the tank essentially locking the floor in place and keeping it from expanding and contracting.

Anyone have a heavy tank sitting on laminate? Have you had any issues with the seams separating or the laminate buckling?

Are you talking about wood laminate and not man made imitation water proof products?
Reason im asking is i lay flooring and ive seen sealed wood laminate flooring get soaked from a leak a few times and yes after a few days its fubar & buckles badly & does not shrink back due to most having a pressed wood core swelling eventually. Some do have a ply core but they also swell tho less but will rot & compress eventually under weight. Biggest issue ive seen over concrete is concrete that is not perfectly flat & level as a normal ply deck is with joists can give grief with flooring. Its hard to get concrete perfect, a real art especially basements.. only so much working time, been there done that too. If the crete has any high spots it then tends to make the flooring want to seperate unless its a lock together flooring if you do not have that issue then you may be ok. Id calculate the total weight & contact the manufacturer & see what they say about it. Another thing is weight spread, is it on legs or a full floor span spread evenly on a couple 2x4s etc also when inquiring. All that weight on just a few spots on laminate verses solid oak is worth a debate in advance.

Hi again, I was pondering an easy solution for you.
Think i have an easy one, id 1st check the floor both directions with a large level like a jamb level if you have access to one then, if its straight id purchase 1 sheet of 3/4 solid marine plywood & cut it to perfectly match the display base. Would not hurt to apply 2 coats of clear exterior poly all over it also. Then, if once placed in the spot you want & the display stand is on it, id then place levels on front & sides and if it needs to be leveled then use man made water proof shims like the ones used for toilet setting etc. Id place them approx every 12" at min but better at 6" then once its all perfectly leveled id install a base molding that is stained or painted to match your rooms existing base, there ya go no floor buckling concerns, hope i've helped.

After all is said & done I would use a waterproof barrier inside the stand base for any spills or mistakes like a hose coming off, (happened to me). A water alarm is a great idea too.

Thanks of the replies. To answer the questions, it's Mannington's Restoration Line. I think it's just normal laminate flooring. I'm not really sure since it doesn't say what they make it out of, other than 70% recycled material.

The floor is pretty level. My concern was the floor not being able to expand and contract under the weight of the aquarium. I'm thinking that putting plywood under it would do the same thing.

I have multiple lead detection sensors, both for my Apex and my Zwave controller.

I have a 100 and a 50 on laminate and we are going to have to redo the floor. Frankly, the only laminate that has proven 100% waterproof for us is Coretec vinyl, kitchen, bath, basement. I have some hope that Pergo might survive...that is our hoped-for go-to, but the unprotected laminate we have is toast. Tanks sit on the edge of the room, where board-to-board clever click-seals are not going to help a bit when water gets to the edge of the laminate coverage. Then it goes right under everything. The only thing the sheet does is hold the water in a pool next to the vulnerable side of the laminate.

From what ive seen in the past it was not heavy objects that was the issue with buckling, it was the flooring placed too close to the wall under the base. Some folks do not follow the instructions when they lay it & it must have a gap for expansion at the walls or yes it will buckle regardless of anything sitting on it.

As for damage down the rd. due to any water its your home and your decision nothing lasts forever, silicon seals can leak and so can any connections. Its not if but when. My aquariums are sitting on laminate flooring & i have had no issues with buckling at all but they are no where near the size your going but still a couple hundred lbs. is sitting on it with no issues in summer when its humid so i think that is the least of your issues, as SK8r stated she had issues from water so that would be my fear on such a large DT should it get a leak etc.

The floor sort of moves/expands as one unit. Old reeferman is correct, now allowing enough room at the perimeter of the installation is what causes non water expansion buckling. You should not need to worry about the tank locking the floor in place.

It's not buckled: the underside swelled and shows its grey substance between the boards. We maintained the proper side-of-room clearance; but the boards themselves are damaged. I may end up 'fixing it' by putting a line of black paint (matches the tone) on that grey stuff. This was Home Depot's brand. I do not recommend it.

Back