Last weekend's great finds!

Tell me about.. On a side note though, until I got in to reefs and actually started LOOKING for zoas, I had no idea how many we have here and how easy to find they are. Especially considering how much Hawaii is lacking in the coral department when compared to other, older and less isolated locales.

Love it

Love it

Hi Alany - we have a lot of fun collecting. Ive only lived here 3 1/2 years, but ive learned so much in that time! I count myself very lucky to have such awesomeness righr in my backyard, more or less. For a while we'd go every weekend, not necessarily to take always but just discover new things. But we are also at the mercy of the tides, so when those dont cooperate, we still enjoy the day...just for different reasons lol Cant say i have too many complaints about moving here. Look me up if you decide to visit! :)

Nice find. Do you ever find red or orange colored zoas? Here in se fla I've yet to find any color but the greens like yours

colors!

colors!

I'd say about 1/3 of what i find is orange/red. Real plain/not much pattern but they vary from pinkish to dark orange, and a few have pale markings near the center - thet remind me of pansy flowers.

Some of them glow green under bluer light - sometimes just the face, sometimes just the skirt.

Green/purple/white seems to be the most common, though ive found it in a range of arrangements and patterns.

Its interesting to learn whats common in each locale. Im interested to see what the other islands have - if I ever get over there. Never made it to FL yet either...someday :)

Hi Alany - we have a lot of fun collecting. Ive only lived here 3 1/2 years, but ive learned so much in that time! I count myself very lucky to have such awesomeness righr in my backyard, more or less. For a while we'd go every weekend, not necessarily to take always but just discover new things. But we are also at the mercy of the tides, so when those dont cooperate, we still enjoy the day...just for different reasons lol Cant say i have too many complaints about moving here. Look me up if you decide to visit! :)

thanks for your reply. I'm actually visiting maui on a business trip in several months. I was really hoping that I could collect some fish and overnight it to my lfs. It's a nice chain that staffs knowledgeable aquarists, and the salt water manager said he'd be happy to keep my fish for me for several days until I returned. i've done a lot of research on restricted species and the conservation areas. is it hard to get the free permit, and would I be able to collect some good specimens without scuba diving?

i've spent close to $1,000 setting up my future fishes' home by now...really excited to get started!

Watch for the ones in the 3rd picture. They grow fast and take over the tank if you allow them to. Leave them on their own rock, isolated.
totally agree.

WIll be in Maui again soon on my yearly visit. If my job only had sites there in any of the islands I'd move in a heartbeat.

Back