Last weekend's great finds!

BlueGeckoHI

I found these guys in a rocky shore break near my house last weekend - what vibrant colors! :) Just wanted to share because I thought they were neat. The small zoas look kind of like Alien Eyes? Not sure about the bigger ones though (which i think are palys? I'm still a noob...). Just some eye candy for you!

Attachments

• ae_1.jpg
    ae_1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ae_2.jpg
    ae_2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • gp_1.jpg
    gp_1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
Nice polyps!
Watch for the ones in the 3rd picture. They grow fast and take over the tank if you allow them to. Leave them on their own rock, isolated.
Hope you didn't pay too much for them. It looks like they were ripped off from a wild colony.
Grandis.

I did. Soft corals aren't regulated like hard corals/live rock are here in HI, so with an aquarium permit, they're ok to cellect as long as dont take the rock they are on.

Big Island, east side - we go all over on the weekends hiking w/ our dog and scouring tidepools for neat things (mostly just to see the neat things, but occaisionally bring home, like when we find new polyps )

That's great! I'm sure you've got zoas there that we can't find here.
The one in the first picture is a great find! Keep'em growing!
:thumbsup:

Grandis.

:) Thanks!
Definitely fragging them - just havent got enough posts to post in the "for sale" threads yet. Keep in touch though, ill make sure I save a frag for you :)

Are you allowed to collect in the ocean out there and sell them? If it were me I would let them grow into colonies before I fragged.

I agree. As far as ive been able to find out, yes you can take zoanthids from the ocean to sell, but quite a few of the ones I've collected have grown rather quickly so fragging from the colonies they're forming shouldn't be too far off in the future.

Are you allowed to collect in the ocean out there and sell them? If it were me I would let them grow into colonies before I fragged.

Hawaii's division of aquatic resources (DAR) has two types of permits, that would apply to this subject.

Recreational Aquarium Permit, Commercial Aquarium Permit.

Recreational Aquarium Permit: Individual type
No fee or report activities and taking of marine life to the department but you can not sell any marine life.

Commercial Aquarium Permit: Individual type

Fee, "œholder to report activities and taking of marine life to the department."
I do believe the "˜Commercial Aquarium Permit' is an add on from the commercial marine license however it's been over a year since I've had any permits or contact with DAR, so proper permits/license and diligence is my advice for anyone collecting/selling marine life in or from Hawaii.

You're correct on all of that - i beljeve the commercial aquarium permit/reporting is needed in conjunction with the commercial marine license. I've poured over the DAR website and administrative rules for title 13 (can you tell I'm kind of a nerd?) since starting on this "saltwater aquarium journey" a few months back to make sure I don't step any toes (legally or environmentally). I feel like I could apply for a job at DAR if I keep up on it all :)

Yep, anyone can get any of those permits here.
You just need to apply and pay yearly, if commercial.
Last time I renewed my commercial permit the fee was US$50.00. That was a while ago!
My business permit wasn't for zoanthids. I've never sold any zoas.
I prefer to give to my friends.

If you want to get into the business it isnt's worthy.

Remember: to collect the zoanthids legally anywhere in Hawaii you have to collect only the polyps, not the rocks they are on. They have to be scraped from the rocks.

That's why I say, to make money out of the Hawaiian zoanthids legally isn't worthy. Unless you really have time to work on collecting, and take the captive propagation seriously, if you want to do it legally. Other jobs will give you much better return!

That is true for any of the 2 types of permit: only the polyps, not the rock!

If you live on the mainland and had someone sent you Hawaiian zoas on live rocks, that was an illegal business! All Hawaiian zoanthids need to be sold/given on plugs!

I just wanted to enrich the thread with the info.

Grandis.

Back