lava rock

trottman

i have a lot of that red lava rock left over from my old FW tank. i was wondering if it would be good to put in a sup to turn into "sump LR." since it is basically a spone rock, very pours, would it not be good to put into a sump and get it growing??

I know I've seen Randy Holmes-Farley recommend against using it in a reef tank in several threads I've seen it asked about...due to the potential of leaching whatever might be in it. Lava rock can be made up of many different metals and minerals.

mine is red, and it is in a fish only tank right now..... SW damsel tank. i plan on keeping it in there. i think it iwll be fine with damsels.

that is a nice thread, but i have had this rock in a FW tank for a long time with no problems. i am not worried about the rock being bad.

Lave rock can decrease the pH of the water. Same reason it's a no no with chiclid tanks.

i am not worried about the rock being bad.

If this is the case, and you're going to go ahead and use the rock anyway despite what anyone says, then what's the point of the original question.

just curious if there are any serious problems that it can cause to saltwater. like i said, it is going into a DAMSEL tank. from what i have experienced, these are super hardy fish that can live out of water for quite some time. unless there is a major problem with using lava rock in saltwater that will kill my damsels, then yes i am going to use it. form what i have read, and your posts, i feel very safe atm using it in a damsel tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6826585#post6826585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trottman
just curious if there are any serious problems that it can cause to saltwater.

I'm pretty sure pH burns and poisoning covers it. Nothing serious I guess. :lol:

You could wear shoes that are 4 sizes too small, it will hurt, but it wont kill you. You are a hardy, health teen, so you can take it. Im sure you have some left over in your closet that you can use, or you could share with your brother. It will be cheaper, so you can buy more stuff thats not good in any way for your SW tanks.

The guys are trying to be honest with you to the point just short of saying, TROTT DON"T DO IT !!!!!

If your damsels will live out of water I would suggest to you that you remove them from the tank and place them in your window after putting the lava rock into the tank. It will be easier on them.

Back