Leather Coral Self Propagation

BeanMachine

f8fdcb1956f690cf10052fbb93cd26ba.jpg

My huge OG Yellow Fiji has several pups growing on its underside. I've head leathers drop babies from the edge of the disk but not like this. Not that's it rare but just don't recall ever seeing this with my own eyes. Pretty cool anyway thought I'd share.

Anyone else have something similar to share?

da7b866390122888c39aa8ef35377ae5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool!
I've only had my leathers pinch off and drop large buds. Never seen them grow little baby branches like that

I have a beautiful Long Tentacle Bright Green Toadstool from John and it has several babies on stalk, I checked after seeing your picture. How do you frag them or get them on plug?

I have a beautiful Long Tentacle Bright Green Toadstool from John and it has several babies on stalk, I checked after seeing your picture. How do you frag them or get them on plug?

Nice! Um I don't think they will stick with glue, maybe initially, but will prob come loose. I've seen some use a toothpick passed through it, and glue the toothpick to the plug. Or you could tie or rubberband them to a plug, or just place them in a container with carx media or rubble. Maybe some others can chime in with what they do.

But yeah just cut them off with scissors. Similar if you were to just use scissors on the crown.

If you look through the gap you can see one of the pups stretching down towards the base rock.
3b05e26cd082c41af7b048c616a1ab13.jpg

Leather Coral Self Propagation

Hey Scott I fragged a couple and used the tooth pick method. Works well. Attached and separated from the tooth pick in approx 2 weeks. Now I can just snap the glued toothpick off.
5f17b0d290956c3acd403e14b32a0fe6.jpg

Last edited:
Hey bean....if you want to get rid of some, LMK, I've been after Yellow Fijis for ever now....

Trade me something. This particular one is from Ali at Amazing Aquariums and Reefs. He had it in his display with the huge green slimer colonies for many years.

Back