LED lighting: Cluster vs. Panel

So the title says it all. If designing a new LED light fixture should I lean towards a cluster arrangement to get more of a spotlight effect or should I arrange the LEDs in a panel to get more even coverage throughout the tank (ideally).

I would like to focus on more scientific reasons for this such as coral and system health, and less on aesthetics like "this one looks better".

Looking forward to the discussion!

I have built DIY both dispersed and cluster. Both work, but clusters are, of course, much less work to wire up. I like the BlueAcro COB arrays very much. With the reflector/diffuser combination, there is no disco effect whatsoever. I like them even better with T5 supplements which is how I have them arranged.

I’ve used both and have not seen any difference. Currently I am using two radions over a 120. It was doing the job but after getting coral from two guys local to me I changed. One was doing straight t5’s and the other had two radions and four t5 ‘s supplementing them. Their tanks were growing coral,all kinds, much faster with better color then I was. I added the t5’s and my coral has taken off.

I've used both and have not seen any difference. Currently I am using two radions over a 120. It was doing the job but after getting coral from two guys local to me I changed. One was doing straight t5's and the other had two radions and four t5 "˜s supplementing them. Their tanks were growing coral,all kinds, much faster with better color then I was. I added the t5's and my coral has taken off.

So would you attribute this more to the even spread of the light or to the different lighting technology?

Why not both? This is my preferred method of lighting right now. Many clusters, but in panel form. No optics for a much more even spread and no disco, blending is fantastic.

Very nice. This guy gets it.

A panel of multiple smaller high output clusters is a proven design for larger setups, but each cluster needs care and consideration given to intended mounting height, distance from cluster to cluster, etc. Using emitters or individual arrays/boards that have a good spectral output will cut down the amount of types needed, and will make it easier to design for this.

Back