LEDBrick Project - DIY pendant w/ pucks

I'm more than happy to swap in Lime LEDs. I can also do Mint on an 8-up (Luxeon C). The lime/mints are a bit more expensive so there is a slight cost increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Theatrus - wasn't a complaint :) I was just noting the main difference, and to some degree why a lot of people didn't like them, was due to the amount of lime they had.

I believe what you have will work but do expect a PM in a day or so before I finalize the order. I know I need 4 regardless :D

Hey Theatrus - wasn't a complaint :) I was just noting the main difference, and to some degree why a lot of people didn't like them, was due to the amount of lime they had.

I believe what you have will work but do expect a PM in a day or so before I finalize the order. I know I need 4 regardless :D

No complaints intended, just happy to tweak things if you're after a certain look :)

No rush either :)

Some new experiments lined up, including these little frosted 3-up lens assemblies and this hemispherical bubble lens:

bubble.jpg

Each is about 20mm, so as large as the center of the current stars.

Looks interesting. Anything else in the pipeline new or exciting or?

I believe I'm going to go ahead and order 4 of the AcroStar Mega4Z 20k Pros. I think that is going to compliment what I already have and I can increase their lime channel if necessary.

That is unless something is around the corner :)

Looks interesting. Anything else in the pipeline new or exciting or?

I believe I'm going to go ahead and order 4 of the AcroStar Mega4Z 20k Pros. I think that is going to compliment what I already have and I can increase their lime channel if necessary.

That is unless something is around the corner :)

Well you could have him put mint instead of lime for even more sexiness. :D

Mint isn't in Z footprint :sob:

As for plans, the ordering looks like this:

- 8 up Luxeon C/SemiLEDs AcroStar (24W, similar to the current one just using a different LED)
- Controller launch (delayed by regulatory testing :()
- Pendant all-in-one design
- "Power Panel" (100W+ panel LED array, with integrated heatsink, drivers, cooling - this is what I'm experimenting with different optics for)
- Doser control board for stepper dosers (pretty close hardware wise)
- Spectrometer beta

I also have a pump BLDC design but haven't found cycles to really work on that.

Last edited:
Ooh - spectrometer? Now that sounds interesting! Been looking at an Apogee again, but might wait and see what you come up with :)

Tim

I've spent the last few days reading through the thread. Awesome builds. I wish I had come across this before I built my own fixtures. The spacing on mine is terrible because I used LEDs on individual 20mm stars.

I have two of his 16up running on my tank, they look awsome and the corals are liking them too,

I am thinking about getting 6 or 8 of the 16ups for a 96x24x30" tall tank to mount between 2 rows of T5s. Building it will be pushing my electronics knowledge envelope to the edge.
I would love to see photos of them on your tank. What size is your tank?

Ooh - spectrometer? Now that sounds interesting! Been looking at an Apogee again, but might wait and see what you come up with :)

Tim

Yeah, its based off of Hamamatsu modules - I'm using a devkit to take measurements of the lineup (each channel breakdown) and its working out well. The modules are still pricey (about $300 a pop in low qty, drops below $200 at above 100), but its not something that easy to replicate. Each module is individually calibrated straight from Japan :)

Yeah, its based off of Hamamatsu modules - I'm using a devkit to take measurements of the lineup (each channel breakdown) and its working out well. The modules are still pricey (about $300 a pop in low qty, drops below $200 at above 100), but its not something that easy to replicate. Each module is individually calibrated straight from Japan :)
$300 is not cheap, but worth the price. For me, depends what the final price ends up at as it is something I want, not something I need :(

Be interesting to read how you get on, anyway :)

See what the conversion rate is GBP/USD when you get a final working model!

Tim

$300 is not cheap, but worth the price. For me, depends what the final price ends up at as it is something I want, not something I need :(

Be interesting to read how you get on, anyway :)

See what the conversion rate is GBP/USD when you get a final working model!

Tim

Will be an interesting time :)

I'll keep http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578464 updated. The actual addons to the electronics package aren't that big if I don't over-engineer it (decent A/D, wireless/USB module, battery power management are the big three, and those parts are not expensive in comparison). Lead times on the sensors suck (about two months), so if there was interest I'd want to pool orders to get a better price.

Dumb question I'm sure, but what does it exactly measure? Does it measure output / intensity only?

Or, can it capture the color spectrum / wavelengths?

If the later one could do some interesting things controllers and adjustable lighting. I'd be interested for sure if that was the case.

Dumb question I'm sure, but what does it exactly measure? Does it measure output / intensity only?

Or, can it capture the color spectrum / wavelengths?

If the later one could do some interesting things controllers and adjustable lighting. I'd be interested for sure if that was the case.

It outputs an intensity signal at about each 2nm of wavelength. The optics, owing to the small size, means its worst case resolution is about 8nm (things will smear into several 2nm buckets).

So its a wavelength output measurement.

Will be an interesting time :)

I'll keep http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578464 updated. The actual addons to the electronics package aren't that big if I don't over-engineer it (decent A/D, wireless/USB module, battery power management are the big three, and those parts are not expensive in comparison). Lead times on the sensors suck (about two months), so if there was interest I'd want to pool orders to get a better price.
Just re-read that thread and, coupled with my comment in here, seems I'm always whinging about the cost :(

It's only because for me it is just an interesting tool for something I enjoy messing with (DIY LEDs) rather than something I need. Not a suggested reflection on what it is worth, as Oreo57 pointed out on that other thread - current options are massively more!

Will look forward to any updates you have, anyway :)

Tim

Box of goodies arrived today :) Packaged all nice, neat, and orderly. Power supply should be here later in the week. Heat sinks next if all goes has planned.

These 4 will go over a 240 gallon 30" tall with a pair of pre-existing Borealis Luxeon Z Arrays. These new ones will be using the lenses while the Borealis are free since they have more lime color. With all six running I'm hoping to get a good spread with adjustability via PWM and my controller. The Acro's very well may over power or offer more control in which case I'll order another pair :)

Attachments

• led1.jpg
    led1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 2
I have reached out to theatrus and I am planninig on installing the 6 of the mega pro's on my 350 gallon and I am waiting for my package so that I can see the spread on my tank before I place big order, I might change the color combination a little to my choice.

I have reached out to theatrus and I am planninig on installing the 6 of the mega pro's on my 350 gallon and I am waiting for my package so that I can see the spread on my tank before I place big order, I might change the color combination a little to my choice.

Yeah, I considered that and he also offered. I'm thinking that I should be able to dial in both the intensity and spectrum between the 4 channels based on my current chips. I should also be able to lower the lights compared to how high I have them today. I'm sitting about 16" above the waterline over the current 40 breeder and not hitting max mA. I think maybe my Royal Blue channel is pushing 90 with the rest between 50 and 80%.

Was hoping my heat sinks would arrive today so I could work on them but it doesn't look like they will arrive this weekend. Tuesday it seems. What size is your tanks foot print?

Back