Let's See Some T5 Only Lite Tanks (remember Just T5 Lite Tanks) :-)

Ti said:
O.k I take it back, the T5 is pretty darn bright.
It is bright without you knowing about it.
I noticed that after I look at my tank and I look at something else, I see spots.

told ya:lol:

Todd March said:
Hey Ti, can you or someone post a pic of just the T5 03 Acintic(s) on...?

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of just the 03 Actinics... I know they aren't as popular as the Blue Plus...
Unfortunately I do not Think I can.
When I got the fixture I placed one bulb and tried to turn it on. It was a no go.
So I placed 2 bulbs in and tried to turn it on, still no go.
Placed all 4 in their sockets and then It went.
So I don't think I will be able to turn only one bulb on sorry.
Prehaps another member will be able to.
I am curious as well.
I can take a pic of the 11K with the actinic, that pretty much looks like PC 10K with actinic, but slightly different.

The reason you can't just fire one bulb at a time, without the others in, is because the Tek Lights are designed to cut current if one of the bulbs dies...I believe it's an added safety feature..;)

Ok i must say, all these tanks are astounding. I cant beleive how beautiful they are.

I have some questions. OK this Christmas i will be upgrading from my 29 gallon tank, to a 50 gallon tank 36L X 18W X 19H

i plan on getting the 6-39 watt tek light T5 fixture. Will i need to get anything else, besides the bulbs and mounts? What would be the ideal combination of bulbs? And will i be able to keep SPS and CLams under this lighting?

Another question is does the 6 39 watt T5 tek light have like a sheld like PC fixtures do, to protect from water splashing on the bulbs?

well a 6x39 over that tank will easily provide enough light over a 50 gallon..

i run retrofits on my 35, so i dont know if the teklight has a shield, but issume if it doesnt have a shield, that the endcaps are waterproof. i think they do have shields...

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

heres mines... sun, 60ac/40sun ,blue , actinic 03,

the shield is an extra option- i took mine off

The Shrimp X said:
Another question is does the 6 39 watt T5 tek light have like a sheld like PC fixtures do, to protect from water splashing on the bulbs?

The Shrimp X said:

I think the jury is still out of the shields. My lamps are within 2 1/2 to 3" of the water and the only issue I have is with salt spray from the bubbles produced from my fuge returns.

I had a JBJ 48" quad 36watt with 2 Helios '03 and day's. I set up (2 weeks ago) two seperate 80 Watt (new single ballast's from ReefGeek). I like the fact that the retro 60" fit's perfectly on my 60" wide 100G. Had I realized how much brighter it was going to be, I could easily have done two 55W.
I have the 6500K day and '03 after trying the 11 and super blue. I also mixed them and decided to stick with the 65 and 03. I guess I have the others as back ups now (doesn't make much sense to ship back, although Greg was willing to accept them.
I also have to say, I recieved my orders the next day.

After a couple of weeks, maybe I;m getting used to the T5, but it ain't as blue anymore.

InsaneClownFish said:
Aero, which exact T5 fixture do you have? Which combo of bulbs are you using in each of the first and second pics respectively?

(Bright pic)
Blue 1100k
Yellow 6500k
Deep blue
Actinic 03

(Blue pic)
Deep Blue
Actinic 03

Some don't understand about blue light, but it is the least energy efficient to create. No matter what type of bulb (PC's or T8 / T5) they do loose brightness. Just more noticeable with blue's. They seem to loose a lot at first, taper off then one day you notice how yellow the tank looks.
When I had PC's, I thought I had water problems. I fought this for a while until I replaced with new PC's. I watched carefully and noticed PC's actually need to be re4placed about every 4 to 6 months. So I made the jump to T5's.
My tank seems to have lost some blue, but now it looks correct. We'll see how the next 4 months go.
By the way, I don't run a fan and I leave the canapy open all day. The lights are mounted on strips of wood sitting on top of the tank with a strip of tank lid glass cover under them.

I thought I would throw my pic into this thread. Until I get better at taking pictures you'll just have to suffer along with me ;)

2-blue plus
1-actinic 03
5-GE 6500

0393470-R1-015-6.gif
[/IMG]

Back