Let's See Some T5 Only Lite Tanks (remember Just T5 Lite Tanks) :-)

Latest Tank Pic. 90G with 8 x 54w Tek Lights

Tank is new (4 months) and only have one small Zoo Colony

71361tank3.JPG

71361zoo.JPG

AJ, where did you buy the brackets for your lights? Tank looks good, taking it slow will help in the long run huge.

I like the fact that you get good light coverage and can experiment with bulb combos to get the look you want with T5s. However, IMO MH glitter lines give the tank some motion. Especially in SPS tanks since they don't move at all.

I'm not a T5 guy but I love the photos on this thread. Thx

AJ, I spoke to Greg at reefgeek and he said mine shipped on Friday. I was worried that they wouldn't fit the AGA with the black trim but after seeing yours, I'm a happy camper!
How do you like them, are they easy to use and adjust?

Scleractinian said:
Why are only American SPS tanks valid demonstrations of what can be accomplished with T5? Europeans started using them first, so they have the most experience with them.

Post some threads of non-american tanks grown out from frags with T5's and explanations then. I didn't say they were not valid. I said I wanted to see American tanks. Most of the tanks I have seen with T5's and SPS are German and I can't read German. That dosn't make them invalid, it makes it difficult to know about the methods involved.

NewSchool04 said:
AJ, I spoke to Greg at reefgeek and he said mine shipped on Friday. I was worried that they wouldn't fit the AGA with the black trim but after seeing yours, I'm a happy camper!
How do you like them, are they easy to use and adjust?

I like them a lot. The fixture is very easy to slide with the legs, and they are rock solid. I always use them on the slowest setting where the fixture sits around 2.75" from the tank.

My fixtures are up higher, about 4" from the water line. They are atop a 55g & are kind of wobbly. It's possible, in my case anyway, to accidentally push them one way & they will drop. Potentially cracking the glass & such.

I think the higher you place the lights, the more unstable the fixture becomes. When I had them lower, for sure, they were more steadier. There is only 1 screw holding them down on each end. Furthermore, the bracket is forced to stick out some because the top part is not flush with the top of the fixture, due to it being on top of existing screws (if this makes any sense)?

38429933.jpg

brentp said:
Post some threads of non-american tanks grown out from frags with T5's and explanations then. I didn't say they were not valid. I said I wanted to see American tanks. Most of the tanks I have seen with T5's and SPS are German and I can't read German. That dosn't make them invalid, it makes it difficult to know about the methods involved.

OK, AFAICT, Danano's corals have all been grown from frags under ATI T5, so there's one (link above).

Here are a couple of German tanks that I found by doing a quick RC search for "German T5"

#1 Translated
#1 with image links working (wouldn't work through Google translate)

#2 translated

I found several by using "ATI T5" in google image search also.

Thanks for the links. Those are both nice tanks with colorful SPS, it would be nice to know how much of the growth occured under T5's. Too bad their are not more european reefers posting on reefcentral.

FastUno said:
My fixtures are up higher, about 4" from the water line. They are atop a 55g & are kind of wobbly. It's possible, in my case anyway, to accidentally push them one way & they will drop. Potentially cracking the glass & such.

I think the higher you place the lights, the more unstable the fixture becomes. When I had them lower, for sure, they were more steadier. There is only 1 screw holding them down on each end. Furthermore, the bracket is forced to stick out some because the top part is not flush with the top of the fixture, due to it being on top of existing screws (if this makes any sense)?

Fastuno, do you have the "new and improved" version? I thought that these problems were going to be corrected.

I will get some pics of my Acros and post them. There are two you can see the growth pattern since I added them. They are kind of ugly looking but I bought them to see how they would do.

Don't really know what the new & improved versions look like.

Don't mean to scare you, because they are pretty sturdy, but If pushed to one side (perhaps without paying much attention) it's possible to knock one side over. This almost happened to me while I had someone holding them up slightly in the front so I can get my hands in the tank, it fell on one side. Luckily we caught it just in time.

This seems silly that it should at all be an issue, because there are 2 screws that adjust the tightness of the width of the bracket. Mine are pushed all the way in & I do not get a tight fit. The fixture as a whole is awesome, seems ridiculous that they could not have refined this?

FastUno,
My fixture weights 40 pounds, and I feel very secure with the fixture legs. It is rock solid. I'm on a 48" tank.

What size is your fixture and tank?

I have a 55g tank w/ the 6 bulb 48" fixture.

On top of your lights, where you screw the bracket in (with that one screw), are there a set of screws underneath that prevent the top part from being flush with the fixture?

In my case it does & forces the brackets to bend out slightly, thus loosing some of the tightness. Again, they won't fall out on their own & yes they are pretty darn heavy! Just while moving or adjusting them, if you are not careful, they might fall to one side (at least in my case).

FastUno
Hope this help.
Top view (a bit blurry due to my old camera)
71361legs2.JPG

How the legs rest on the tank
71361legs.JPG

The way you describe it, it looks like you have different legs or missing pieces? I have two screws on the top.

thanks , for all the input, had to down grade from my 400 watt mh due to heat(did have chiller wasnt enough) so went back to 175 but sps look bad even in the top of my 150, so maybe ill add t5 how many do you think?

Back