Lets talk return pump

golfish

Team RC
Hey all, What are you guys liking these days for sump return pumps. I'm looking for an external pump, something that will do about 500+GPH

Thanks

fish

Rakie

The standards (Sicce, Tunze, Eheim) and the newer DC models like the EcoTech (I think that can be run external).

slief

RC Sponsor
Premium Member
If your not looking for a DC pump which I would personally avoid on the cheap end anyway, I would suggest a Fluval SP series pump. They use the Italian Askoll block which is a terrific block and will last many many years with occasional maintenance/cleaning. Their price is great, they are silent, run cool and very solid pumps. In all honesty, for an external pump, if I was on a budget, the Fluval SP would be my first choice. In your case, the SP2 may be too small depending on your head pressure. The SP4 is on the larger size but you could gate it down.

tigerjace

I'm running a WAVELINE DC9000. It's a great pump; it's silent, generates no heat, controllable speed and has feed timer. Once I have this dialed in I don't even touch the speed and feed timer because I run a herbie style overflow and it messes with the drain noise and I have to further adjust the valve to kill the noise. It's quite annoying really, I wish I can mess with the flow speed without having to constantly mess with the flow valve on the drain. But that's not the pumps fault.

It's really all in what you're going for and want. If you're a gadget nut go high end like the popular Vectra L1 and the like or if you want simple just go with a jecod, lifegard quiet one, sicce...all great pumps.

golfish

Team RC
I've done a tiny bit of research. I have no experience with the DC pumps at all.
Is it fare to say that the DC pumps use less electricity so they produce less heat?

Thanks guy, I really appreciate the help.

fish

Rakie

DC pumps are more efficient, they use energy more efficiently and put out less heat, because they utilize less power.

They also have a lot of adjustability. Like the Vectra, which is basically an MP10/40 for a return. Very powerful, cool settings and programmable, lower heat and energy usage.

BeanMachine

If your not looking for a DC pump which I would personally avoid on the cheap end anyway, I would suggest a Fluval SP series pump. They use the Italian Askoll block which is a terrific block and will last many many years with occasional maintenance/cleaning. Their price is great, they are silent, run cool and very solid pumps. In all honesty, for an external pump, if I was on a budget, the Fluval SP would be my first choice. In your case, the SP2 may be too small depending on your head pressure. The SP4 is on the larger size but you could gate it down.

If you want a bullet proof pump, I would go this route. You won't be disappointed.

slief

RC Sponsor
Premium Member
DC pumps are more efficient, they use energy more efficiently and put out less heat, because they utilize less power.

They also have a lot of adjustability. Like the Vectra, which is basically an MP10/40 for a return. Very powerful, cool settings and programmable, lower heat and energy usage.

That is not entirely true.. The Vectra for example puts out a lot of heat compared to other AC pumps and even DC pumps. It also uses about 10 more watts than it's power rating which goes to the controller. Just read up in the Vectra thread in the Lighting section here on the forum. In fact, the Fluval that I suggested above is an AC Pump and it puts out MUCH less heat watt for watt and gallon for gallon than the Vectra and is on par with most other DC pumps. And the only thing the Vectra shares in common with the MP's is the controller. The block for the Vectra is made by HiPool in China. This is the same company that makes the Deep Water Aquatics DC pumps though the Vectra block does have special windings for higher voltage. That's not to say that all DC pumps generate a lot of heat because most don't generate much but some produce much less heat than others.

Having said, given the track record of most DC pumps on the market, I am not a fan of running a DC pump for a return pump which happens to be the most critical component in our tanks. The one device where failures are unacceptable. AS such, there are only a couple DC style pumps that I would condone and those are unaffordable for most people. As such, I would stick with a quality AC based pump for a return unless cost isn't a factor.

golfish

Team RC
That is not entirely true.. The Vectra for example puts out a lot of heat compared to other AC pumps and even DC pumps. It also uses about 10 more watts than it's power rating which goes to the controller. Just read up in the Vectra thread in the Lighting section here on the forum. In fact, the Fluval that I suggested above is an AC Pump and it puts out MUCH less heat watt for watt and gallon for gallon than the Vectra and is on par with most other DC pumps. And the only thing the Vectra shares in common with the MP's is the controller. The block for the Vectra is made by HiPool in China. This is the same company that makes the Deep Water Aquatics DC pumps though the Vectra block does have special windings for higher voltage. That's not to say that all DC pumps generate a lot of heat because most don't generate much but some produce much less heat than others.

Having said, given the track record of most DC pumps on the market, I am not a fan of running a DC pump for a return pump which happens to be the most critical component in our tanks. The one device where failures are unacceptable. AS such, there are only a couple DC style pumps that I would condone and those are unaffordable for most people. As such, I would stick with a quality AC based pump for a return unless cost isn't a factor.

How's the noise on the SP2 when ran external ?

SchnitzelReef

I've been running a Fluval SP6 as my main return pump for 3 years, and i can't give it enough praise. It runs very very quiet, and it is actually pretty efficient. If you compare gph vs watts to comparable D.C.pumps, the difference is minimal.

Also the Sicce and Eheim are great pumps.

slief

RC Sponsor
Premium Member

They are VERY quiet! Damn near silent. I'd go as far as to say they are about the quietest AC pump you can buy and on par with some of the best DC pumps.

golfish

Team RC
They are VERY quiet! Damn near silent. I'd go as far as to say they are about the quietest AC pump you can buy and on par with some of the best DC pumps.

Thanks for the help. It looks like this will be he winner.