LF: Suggestions on Nano setup for my teen

bigzman

My daughter signed up for marine biology course in high school. As part of the course work she has a project that requires her to setup and keep a marine aquarium with at least one fish for the semester. She will have to log pretty much everything. She has kept fresh water (didn't do so well when she was 5 )and she understands what it takes to keep a tank.

Here is the question I need help with:

She wants a pair of clown fish and an anemone. What is the smallest tank I can get away with for this?

Should I add other softies?
Can I get by with HOB filter and no skimmer? (It will be in her room and want it to be quite)

I was thinking deep sand bed and liverock with a HOB

Should I have Macro Algea?

Lights?

Thanks,
Z

Hey Z,

This is a very interesting project. I'm glad to see schools and kids getting started early in this area. I would recommend an AIO of about 20Gal. This will have all the filtration you need in one little package. I have seen some 14 gallon biocubes in CL for very cheap that may be just what she needs.

I would say that you can do away with the skimmer, as long as she keeps up with weekly water changes. I had a 3 gallon pico and I kept it for about 6 months with great success with just water changes.

Feel free to ping me if you need help or any supplies for nano. I can even help with an LED light if you want to go the DIY route. At this point, I have built so many that I should have all the parts laying around. May only need a heatsink.

I'd get a 10g, oversized hob filter. I'd really suggest a pair of clowns, super hardy fish. I'd do easy corals like mushrooms, xenia and zoas. You could get away with a very simple light too.

I would stay away from nem. They require a lot more light and also much better water stability. Also they put out a pretty heavy bio load. An expert no problem. First tank seems like I would stay away from nem

Thank everyone, I am thinking a 20 gallon with a dsb of 3 inches. As much as she wants nem I think roger is right. As for HOB I have 300 penguin biowheel. Is that too much? Only thing I think I need is light. Also at 20 gallons what else is hardy? Cleaners? Snail or 2.

Z,

My only concern with HOB filters is the splashing noise. I would go with either a canister, with proper maintenance, or an AIO. This will reduce noise drastically. Just my two cents.

I'm more than likley looking to part ways with a BC 29 for cheap. It's in perfect condition, 7 months old from Johns place. Stand in great shape as well. If any interest just shoot me pm. It has Intank basket as well.

My daughter has a twenty gallon in her room. I don't use any filtration except 5 gallon water changes every two weeks. No hang on back or skimmer. Just three good sized live rocks and 3 or 4 inches of sand. It has a clown, royal gramma, and one pretty good sized chromis. Light is the standard 15watt light that comes with fresh water tank packages. We started her tank as fresh.

I used to have the hob marineland filter with bio wheel. I took it off b/c I didn't think it was helping. In fact, unless you change those filter cartridges weekly, I think it it hurt.

Anyway, bout three fish is all I think the tank can handle. Of course I don't have coral either so water quality is less of an issue. It can be done tho. Don't have probs with algea in that tank either. Even grow coralline in it.

Hope that helps. GL

Kevin.

Kevin thank you as that is what I wondered. back 8 years ago I had a 90 gallon with dsb and Lps and no problems. I was thinking of hob for flow and to extended water changes. Manny canister is a pain take it from me and my discus. I want something easy for her to up keep. I want her to up keep. Bryan I was hoping for something smaller than a 29 thank you. Shame I missed dollar per gallon

Bigzman,

My daughters love to help me test my tank. Even if they don't understand what's going on. But def keep it simple. Success is the goal. Great project tho. Bet she'll learn a ton.

Kevin.

For a first time tank I would definitely go with an AIO like the bio cube of even a redsea max series if you can find one. I got my aquapod 24g over a year and a half ago and I love it, arguably better and nicer looking than my 75g. Also much much much easier to maintain.

Your best bet is a nano cube or biocube.. I started with a 12 gallon nanocube.. One bag of 20 lb live sand will give it a good thickness of sand. In the aquarium I had a pair of clown fish (female true perc, male occelaris) with live rock and long tentacle anemone. I also had a blue damsel, cleaner shrimp and slowly added some hardy corals. The all in one tanks are the way to go for a beginner, I really enjoyed that tank. I'll see if I can pull up a photo for ya :)

Not the best pic but you can get an idea of the sand level you'd have and what you're capable of doing with a AIO 12 gallon. A lot of people say the anemones need strong lighting which they do, but given the depth of the nano cube you can see how my LTA was thriving with the standard PC lights that come with the aquarium. Keep in mind this anemone was almost all white when I purchased it.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 0
Not the best pic but you can get an idea of the sand level you'd have and what you're capable of doing with a AIO 12 gallon. A lot of people say the anemones need strong lighting which they do, but given the depth of the nano cube you can see how my LTA was thriving with the standard PC lights that come with the aquarium. Keep in mind this anemone was almost all white when I purchased it.

Long tentacles anemones live in the sandbed, not on live rock. If that is an LTA, and not a recovering crispa with low tentacle density, then it obviously isn't getting enough light or it wouldn't leave the sandbed.
Bubble tips are probably the only hosting anemone that should be kept in a Biocube etc with stock lighting for any length of time. And even they will outgrow the smaller AIO's given proper husbandry.

The LTA would extend and retract his tentacles from time to time, and the foot was actually in the sand bed, that specific rock was extremely pourus with the center being mostly hollow, my theory is that it likes its foot anchored underneath the rock giving it a sense of security. It grew larger and prior to moving to Florida i sold the whole set up. I do agree a bubble tip is a better choice for a BC or NC

First off kudos to Mike. Thank you for amazing offer. Tampa bay reefers are like family :). Tomorrow is the start of school and I asked my oldest to ask the teacher if she can do reef instead of keeping one fish alive. Also what size is a acceptable. My daughter thinks they provide a 10 gallon tank and filter. I hope they allow me to use a 20g. I also found out they will have a trip to collect might join them on that :)

First off kudos to Mike. Thank you for amazing offer. Tampa bay reefers are like family :). Tomorrow is the start of school and I asked my oldest to ask the teacher if she can do reef instead of keeping one fish alive. Also what size is a acceptable. My daughter thinks they provide a 10 gallon tank and filter. I hope they allow me to use a 20g. I also found out they will have a trip to collect might join them on that :)

Don't share the details of the trip here or your daughter will have to bring 20 of her friends along for the collection trip. LOL

Back