LFS saltwater 60 degrees when i get home

themolt

I'm new to this hobby and did most of my research, but was not prepared for this one. I brought home my new LR and premixed saltwater. The saltwater was 60 degrees when I got home. Right now i have my LR still in the styrofoam box with a little water and wet sheets over it from the LFS.

My heater is slowly raising the temperature but its been heating for an hour an only at 66 degrees.

At what temperature is it safe to get this started. I'm not sure how long the organisms in my LR can survive without being fully submersed in water.

[welcome]

I'm not sure what the safer course is, but I'd probably put the live rock into the water now. Cold water spikes occur in nature, too.

they will be fine for a good bit of time jus keep them moist at least.
my premixed water from the store gets cold to just let it warm up to id say 70-72 and it will be fine.

Deleted what I had in response to first post.

I think I till wait to be within 5 degrees of what it needs to be.

How is LR packaged when ordered online? I know it's out of a real cycled aquarium longer than this.

Live rock gets shipped a number of ways. It's usually shipped out of the water, except for TBS. I wouldn't worry much, personally, because I don't think a few degress or 15 minutes is going to make much difference.

Depending on the performance of your heater and its settings. What brand heater are you using, dose it have the temp setting on it, can you tell that it is on.(mine don't have a light on it) just have to watch for the little bubbles on it form...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11618280#post11618280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kc9dre
Depending on the performance of your heater and its settings. What brand heater are you using, dose it have the temp setting on it, can you tell that it is on.(mine don't have a light on it) just have to watch for the little bubbles on it form...
50 watt heater, hydor theo. temp settings are on top and set to 79. light for heater on is showing

You need to stir the water while the heater is in there. I need to warm my water thats in the garage before i use it and that water is 40 degrees when I bring it in the house. I put the heater in there and after 10 min or so the light goes out. What happens is that the water around the heater warms up and turns the heater off and doesnt warm the surrounding water that much. If i dont stirr the water it takes hours to warm up the water. If i do this I put the heater in the jug and every 10 min or so give the jug a swirrle to move the water. Hope this helps.

When I do water changes in the winter, the water is not at the proper temp. I take my water containers and put them in the bath tub and fill with the hot water all the way up. In about 15 min the water is up to temp. I check with a thermometer. Takes to long with a heater.

that seems like a good one. wish i would have gotten that response last night. i put my rock in with temp at about 68.

Putting the rock in cold water will only slow the bacteria a little but will not kill them. My method of warming the water works good. No chance of over heating just as long as you check the temp. I tie some sewing thread to the thermometer and put in the water container.

Back