Life of a nano tank, now has algae problem. Help/advice appreciated!

ccbeauch

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy my nano journey as I show you some photos through the years of how it has changed and grown.

So my nano tank is now 3 years old. It has traveled with me to 4 different apartments, and just recently in Sept. moved with me to my first house!

I used to take care of discus, so I have a good handle on how to take care of fish and the care that is needed. After leaving the freshwater hobby behind, I wanted to dive into some salt water. So I looked to craigslist for the best all in one deal I could find. Originally, I bought my fish tank with 2 clowns rock, and gravel. Little did I know, there were some tiny mushrooms, and Kenyan trees hiding in there that were too small to see. This tank was in the basement at a solid 58 degrees F when I showed up and the clowns weren't even moving more than a twitch of their fins. It was his brothers and he just wanted the thing to go to someone who knew what they were doing. I didn't think anything was going to survive that, as they had been down there for a month living like that. I was really only interested in the tank, but did my best to keep the fish alive anyway.

A couple of weeks later, the fish were swimming around healthy as could be. I was proud of my completely crusted coralline rock, and hit up my first fish show! This is where I bought a anemone (as all good nemo fathers would) and my care level increased. I saw many posts that it was impossible to keep nems in small aquariums, and being up for all challenges, I set out to prove people wrong. Eventually, this single nem grew from the size of a golf ball, to almost the size of a cantaloupe. This is when it decided to split, and I now had 2!

A year later, I moved back home one summer from college to my parents house and this tank I placed in a bedroom which people didn't visit often. This is when I realized my light was poor and started to cook my coral. Problem was, I didn't realize it until summer was almost over as I had been busy with friends and family and didn't pay much attention to the tank other than bi-weekly water changes and throwing food in. My nems died, and everything else barely hung on. I checked the tank temp and it read 84 degrees.... After moving back to college for my last year, I made sure my lid was cracked 24/7 at an angle so this wouldn't happen again. This worked for 9 months for me, and everything grew wildly. The heat the light generated had a place to escape.

I graduated college in May 2015, and got a job! With my first pay check, I went and bought a brand new Kessil! I went to another fish show that summer, and bought 2 more nems. The kessil was great, but now I have been filling my tank daily for the past 7 months with water due to evaporation. This doesn't bother me as it is only a cup in the morning, and a cup in the evening. Here are some photos to go along with my tanks journy

Attachments

• rsz_040.jpg
    rsz_040.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • rsz_093.jpg
    rsz_093.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rsz_img_3136.jpg
    rsz_img_3136.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • rsz_1057.jpg
    rsz_1057.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
  • rsz_img_5180.jpg
    rsz_img_5180.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
So I traded in most of my coral that had taken over for a new large piece of rock and some basic LFS credit.

My tank has now been infested with this brown algae all over that I don't know how to get rid of. I need help. I added some scarlet hermit crabs (10) and they did really well on the rock. However, they are not scaling my green star polyp wall to clean that. My frog spawn has also been small since this algae outbreak. The nems stay smaller than they used to, and the green star polyp wall is now just purple with brown on it. Can anyone help me? I don't want to invest much money into this tank, as my 72 bowfront is empty and waiting to start in July time period. I want to keep these corals and move them into that tank, and eliminate this problem by then so that I am not bringing algae into that tank. The 72 will have skimmer, algae scrubber, refugium, 2 larger kessils, sump, and everything else you would normally put into a fish tank.

My nano just has a pump, and a light. I do not have RO water, just tap and declorinator. Before the algae outbreak, my nitrates were at 0. I believe this to be due to the hair algae I let grow on the side of the tank. Now that hair algae is gone, and has been replaced by this brown algae. I have been doing 50% water changes every 3 days, but that doesn't seem to be doing much. I replaced the carbon bag I had in the back with new carbon. Is there anything else I can do?

Attachments

• rsz_img_7198.jpg
    rsz_img_7198.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • rsz_img_7201.jpg
    rsz_img_7201.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
Yeah I had the same issue. Purigen worked good but at some point the algae won. I would say a big cause is the phosphates coming from your water. I would invest in a RODI

Okay, I'll get an RODI unit now, as it can be used for the 72 gallon as well. Any other advice for me until I upgrade to clean this tank up?

I would be very careful with chemical treatments start out with small doses. You have a nutrient problem. What are your water parameters? If phosphate is the issue you could try a phosban reactor, I'd definitely get in there and start scraping that crap off of stuff.

Most times these things work themselves out over time. I think us nano guys have it rough, sudden changes and algae blooms can really impact us in a hurry.

yeah, the stuff doesn't even need to be scrapped. I thought it did and was using a tooth brush for the rocks. Then I got out the old milliliter plastic syringe that you can use in chemistry, and the stuff just blew right off of everything except the glass. I was really confused as I am used to having to scrape algae away. Does this help identify what the problem might be? I was wondering if the water at my house was the problem, and the places I had been didn't have whatever it is this house has. House is 20 years old this year. Not sure if that info helps either.

I went to do a water test last night, and saw I was out of my phosphate kit. I will have to order that as well. In the meantime, any other advice is helpful!

I am fighting through hair algae right now, found that peroxide works pretty well. Even dosed some to the tank a few times and the algae was cut way back afterwards. Corals were nothing more than annoyed for a day or two.

Hate to break the news but through casual reading of older nano tanks, there seems to be a trend at the 3-year mark when something goes south and issues arise.

Some handle this issue and make it to 4 years but many see it as a hopeless endeavor and use the opportunity to upgrade their system.

Sounds like you are going to upgrade and you are hoping to beat the algae.

Until I could get Rodi water I would just stop doing wc completely and find another water source for top offs. Some can use tap water but it doesn't sound like you can right now.

You could always scrub the algae off and filter the water through a filter sock though I bet you have phosphate rich rocks right now.

KafudaFish;2437237 You could always scrub the algae off and filter the water through a filter sock though I bet you have phosphate rich rocks right now.[/QUOTE said:
That's a good point, if that's the case it's going to be a long battle, phos coming out of a rock does so slowly. I'd filter hard and reduce your photo period so you're not growing as much per day and keep scrubbing. If it's that loose though it sounds like bacteria, cyano like.

Back