Lifegard 10 gal AIO Nano Reef

farfromsea

I ordered premium live rock from KP aquatics. Arrived in splendid condition with nothing noticeably dead in the bag.
20230524_115028.jpg

The rock was very pretty. I was in a rush to get back to work after the UPS overnight delivery. Was a bit nervous because water was leaking from a corner of the box but all was well.

20230524_115417.jpg

Hitchhikers:
Macro algae of some sort (thread)
Brittle stars 1-2 (have only seen two sets of legs on opposite sides of the aquarium once...)
VideoCapture_20230529-102507.jpg

Shrimp
VideoCapture_20230529-102521.jpg

Very small crab that eats coralline and is camouflaged with the rock
Encrusting sponge

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230529-102501.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230529-102501.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Equipment:
Quiet One 400 pump (stock) --103 gph
Hydor Koralia Nano 425 (might be the source of the clicking noise)
Radion XR15 blue + diffuser
~8 lbs of dry aragonite sand
Aqueon 50W heater

Mechanical filtration:
Only the sponge that came with the AIO

Not running:
Bioballs
Chemical media

Trying to be a bit laid back, monitoring ammonia with a salifert badge. Haven't done any actual testing yet. Have been doing 20-30% water changes every two days per KP instructions. Ammonia crept up to 0.05 ppm on Day 4. Currently back at zero and I saw a snail crusing past that I found in the shipping bag. At the time, I wasn't sure if it was alive or not but tossed in the tank on set up...happy to see it today!

20230524_120507.jpg

Yep, KP’s rock is very close to the old Fiji, Tonga, Marshall Is, and Kaelini we used to get in terms of life.

The tank looks great. How about an update?

If there is a blob of glue under the coral, a bone cutter, big toenail clipper, or screwdriver will pop the coral off pretty easily. If the corals are attached directly to the plug, you can take some pliers or side cutters to the plug and trim it down so it's not so obvious. You can also use some epoxy putty around the plug to blend it into the rock work.

How are you liking the Lifegard tank? I'm considering one for a pair of aggressive clowns. Anything you wish Lifegard had done differently?

The tank looks great. How about an update?

If there is a blob of glue under the coral, a bone cutter, big toenail clipper, or screwdriver will pop the coral off pretty easily. If the corals are attached directly to the plug, you can take some pliers or side cutters to the plug and trim it down so it's not so obvious. You can also use some epoxy putty around the plug to blend it into the rock work.

How are you liking the Lifegard tank? I'm considering one for a pair of aggressive clowns. Anything you wish Lifegard had done differently?
Tank looks significantly less great because I've had a lot going on and I haven't put the time into it that it needs :( having some calc/alk issues that persisted after a water change...hoping to fix that this week or get started on it.

Cardinalfish died and the crabs ate the corpse I suppose.

As for if a Lifegard AIO is worth it I would say it seems just fine! The only drawback with any small tank is flow I suppose. I read online that others experienced problems when trying to upgrade the stock pump to one with more gph. They said the overflow grating couldn't accept that much flow and they had to dremel the grating... to avoid any surprises I run the stock pump.

I have nothing in my back chambers...no rock, no reactors....no sponge...only a heater, the back magnet of my wavemaker, and the stock pump. That being said I don't know if the chambers are ideal for flow for someone who runs more stuff in the back.

That's a shame about the cardinal. :( Stiff upper lip.

It's great that you're still liking the tank. I've read a lot of complaints about low flow in AIOs, but I don't think a lot of flow is necessary through a sump; just enough to keep tank temp stable and to mix in top-off water.

Chewy has them stoopid cheap right now. I think it might be a mistake; they also have them at full price. My order went through.🤞
https://www.chewy.com/lifegard-aquatics-low-iron-chrystal/dp/393271

That's a shame about the cardinal. :( Stiff upper lip.

It's great that you're still liking the tank. I've read a lot of complaints about low flow in AIOs, but I don't think a lot of flow is necessary through a sump; just enough to keep tank temp stable and to mix in top-off water.

Chewy has them stoopid cheap right now. I think it might be a mistake; they also have them at full price. My order went through.🤞
https://www.chewy.com/lifegard-aquatics-low-iron-chrystal/dp/393271
I might add a protein skimmer because there is a lot of nasty stuff floating on the top that conceals together. Reminds me of what floats to the top when you boil meat. Must be protein.

More downs than ups but here is the 3 month update.
Lost the mandarin likely because I didn't add more pods after my cat died just stopped all the maintenance :(

There was a good sale locally so now that I'm back to normal maintenance I added 7 zoas (bringing my total to 10--excessive maybe?), a 12-head microblastomussa ($30 USD!), and a hefty pipe organ coral frag.

I also have a green pavona but it is struggling a bit from falling over in the sand and not getting light. I had used bad epoxy (seachem coralcrete is dry crumbly trash) but once I use the PAR meter I can find the ideal place for it. My PAR ranges from 50-150 in the tank.

My princess peach acro seems to not be dead. Still has flesh and is brown but slightly green now. My voodoo magic had recession from the alk drop. The TSA rainbow sherbert was a discount $19 piece because the frags were losing color. It is hanging in and its color hasn't improved or worsened.

As for the Hanna Marine Master calcium test I bought sterile lab grade water from Amazon. Cheaper than the Hanna RODI lol. I live in an area with hard, calcium-rich water due to limestone in the soil. I read that calcium will not show up on TDS meters and being a larger ion often slips through RODI filters. I figured my local store/source likely was selling RODI with some calcium that the reagent was binding to and giving me false elevated results.

Anyways so my alk was 8.6 dkH (3.016 meq/L) and calcium 533. Per Randy's article I could dose baked baking soda, but this would require me to either (1) use the calcium-rich RODI or (2) use the expensive sterile lab water. I opted for Red Sea foundation B which seemed like a sodium carbonate source that does not contain Borate which Randy suggested avoiding.

I am unsure why my calcium is so high since I don't dose calcium but I presume the rodi has residual calcium and the water I buy at the store is made with that and thus elevated. That, combined with the amount of stony coral in the tank probably led to consumption of the calcium carbonate compound that makes up the alkalinity so when my alk dropped calcium precipitated in the water column. Used this handy site to dose and since the red sea box says the max I can do in one day is 1.2 meq/L I figured my goal of increasing by 1 meq/L was safe... I used 9 gallons for my volume, presuming there is less than 10 in here because of the rock/not filling to the top lol. I will test tonight and see. I just added all 8 mL at one time and the coral didn't all immediately shrivel so seems like it wasn't a bad idea. My calcium should drop to respectable levels (430ish?) going to test pH/alk/calcium this evening and see how it went!

20230827_104426.jpg

Last edited:
Hang in there. You'll be surprised at how giving it just a little love will turn it around.

As for your scum issue, did you put the strainer or the plug in that stupid hole? Seriously, who doesn't want to filter surface water? I think the overflow teeth are so close together they could impede a heavy scum from flowing into the filter.

Hang in there. You'll be surprised at how giving it just a little love will turn it around.

As for your scum issue, did you put the strainer or the plug in that stupid hole? Seriously, who doesn't want to filter surface water? I think the overflow teeth are so close together they could impede a heavy scum from flowing into the filter.
I plugged the hole because my starfish went back into the chamber lol. I tried the strainer one but it fell out and I was lazy. I use the solid one!!

And hmm maybe it is a design flaw. My surface scum was lessened after I dosed the red sea sodium carbonate. Strangely alk increased less than expected... I used a syringe for accuracy but alas. More dosing today and we will see. I was lazy perhaps with sterilizing my calcium measurement so the calcium came back higher after dosing alk...either that or the red sea dosing liquid contains calcium

And another month has passed...

Added a magnetic frag rock for my impulse buys while I cycle a 3 gallon shrimp tank. The damaged colorado sunburst I am trying to rescue lives in a magnetic shroom box from PNW custom.

Pipe organ coral is going strong. A dying fungia I bought has not budded and made a new colony unfortunately.

Attempted to upgrade the return pump but the 30% increase in GPH led to a steep difference in the height of water in the tank and the AIO chambers (noisy!) and this unexpected change triggered my ATO to fill. Big salinity change. My midas blenny died a few days later :(

Still need to epoxy these pieces into permanent homes!
20230924_171145.jpg

Sorry about the troubles as well. Just go slow bringing the salinity back up.

Back