lighting for a 30 long

that wont cut it. you either need two 150w halides or a single 250w halide with an advanced reflector like a Lumen Max to get full coverage. I use a 150wx2 sunpod myself. not that you couldn't keep what you want to keep with thoughtout placement but the tank will simply dim on the ends if you put that up.

i have a 175 hung over my 20L and so far no problems, i keep softies on the side, i eventually want to move it to a all sps tank. i really dont see TOO much dimming on the ends, but there is some

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14819992#post14819992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by addicted2reefin
i have a 175 hung over my 20L and so far no problems, i keep softies on the side, i eventually want to move it to a all sps tank. i really dont see TOO much dimming on the ends, but there is some

a 20g long is 30" meaning there is only 3" to either side outside the typical range of a MH. a 30g long is 36" so half a foot on each side of a 3ft tank will be poorly covered. you also have a single ended 175w and likely a better reflector and height options than a clip on. I did state a single bulb would work fine with a decent reflector but I suggested 250w because you still have to raise it more to get the coverage which cost intensity and the 150w bulbs are fairly weak IMO even compared to 175w bulbs.

i was gona go 250w aqua medic but i dont like drilling holes in my roof and dont wanna go with a hood either i mite be going with 2 175w hqi

you could always use hanging arms if you dont mind drilling a few starter holes in your stand instead of the ceiling. would make for alot better reflector and height options to get full coverage than a clip on if you wanted to use a single halide
Picture093.jpg

I see alot of online stores only have the 250wx2 sunpod but if you can find a 150wx2 36" sunpod new or used its pretty slick. its what I use on my 30g long
30gallonsetup120.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14822369#post14822369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stanlalee
you could always use hanging arms if you dont mind drilling a few starter holes in your stand instead of the ceiling. would make for alot better reflector and height options to get full coverage than a clip on if you wanted to use a single halide
Picture093.jpg

I see alot of online stores only have the 250wx2 sunpod but if you can find a 150wx2 36" sunpod new or used its pretty slick. its what I use on my 30g long
30gallonsetup120.jpg

stanlalee, may i ask what size of tank and ballast/wattage/globe the first pic is?

Thanks

Jamie

its ok im gonna make a stand that goes under my tank stand and legs will be held by the tank stand and just bolt up my new ice capp 400w single ended pendant i cant waight!!!!!!

Back