Lighting Requirements for Tridacnids

How would a squamosa fare directly under 30 or 32 watts of LED with a 60 deg. lens?

The tank is a 29 gallon, plumbed in with my 150+35 gallon reef, so it's a total volume of over 200 gallons.

Surface to bare bottom the tank is 16 inches, but there will be substrate because I want to also add other small inverts with the clam and the bare minimum rock for propping up the clam and as shelter for the other inverts.

I am curious to see if we have any LED par values from the successful clam keepers out there. What is the placement of your led's, clam, etc. More importantly what is the par at the clam placement

extra info like photoperiod, spectrum, etc is also welcomed if you feel up to it.

I'm trying a Crocea under LED's atm, mainly because I'm curious if it will work. Clam is about 9" depth with a Kessil A150W 15K and supplemental PAR38 (60degree) with 10k,14K,Actinic combination for a total wattage of 47w.

I tried just the PAR38 and he tilted himself toward the light and opened up. On day two, I tried the Kessil for a bit to see his reaction and it was immediate. He changed his position so he'd face away from the PAR38 as well as the Kessil. After day three, he adjusted himself a little bit more toward the PAR38 again.

This is purely anecdotal, but I think he has adjusted to the lighting. I can only guess at the PAR level at that depth using other people's info... so, maybe 800-1000 PAR with both lights on. I guess time will tell if this is successful.

I have a JBJ 28g Nano Cube w/105w PC Lighting and have had a Crocea Clam for a year with no issues. Got it at 2.25" and it's now over 4" inches in size. I am going to LED's very soon but if you try this I would recommend 2 things that I think worked for me:

1) The clam is mounted up high in the tank so the distance from bulb to clam is about 8". Any farther apart and the penetration of PC Lighting would drop drastically.

2) The Clam would have to be a Derasa or a South Pacific Crocea with med light requirements.

I have our maxima pretty much directly under a 150w 14k phenix and it seems very content. couple hours of Actinic PC in the am then MH then PC before lights out. My tank depth is 24" and it sits on the sand.

I hate to ask but I'm a bit confused by some of this. I just bought a 6 lamp T5HO system (72" over a 125g) and I wonder if I can keep a clam in it. I think by reading through this I might be ok if the clam is higher up in the tank. Is that right? The configuration of the bulbs is (12x39) 2 purple, 2 white and 8 blue lamps. I'm thinking I might need to exchange one of the blue for another 10k?

repeated
pc's really are NOT suitable for clams

Listen. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert here, because I'm far from it.

But 12 years ago when PC were all the rage, I had a maxima under PCs for almost 5 years. He went with the tank when I sold it off. Granted his growth rate potentional probably wasn't realized, he did thrive.

I had him under 4 10k 65watt straight pin bulbs, 4 65 watt 12k bulbs, and 1 95 watt actnic. (If I remember the colors correctly.)

Granted that's a lot of firepower in terms of PCs and atypical of what one would usually do, but it did work.

This day and age though, there's no reason to go through all that.

Can't wait to get me another!

i am wanting a clam...an want to keep something other than brown or green. so I am looking at a 3 to 4 inch Maxima. i have a standard 120 gallon, 30 inches deep powered by 2 250 watt metal halides with Phoenix 14k DE bulbs. Would a maxima be able to survive with this amount of light? would a Deresa be a better option?

i am wanting a clam...an want to keep something other than brown or green. so I am looking at a 3 to 4 inch Maxima. i have a standard 120 gallon, 30 inches deep powered by 2 250 watt metal halides with Phoenix 14k DE bulbs. Would a maxima be able to survive with this amount of light? would a Deresa be a better option?

I have a 30" deep tank and Im using maxspect razors (16k) and he's growing rapidly! Hes on the bottom of the tank sitting right on the crushed aragonite.

I have a 30" deep tank and Im using maxspect razors (16k) and he's growing rapidly! Hes on the bottom of the tank sitting right on the crushed aragonite.

What type of clam, Maxima?
If you dont mind could you give your lighting schedule as well. I'm running the same light and have concerns as to went went wrong. I had a maxima that I could not seem to get settled or make happy and my tank is only 12" deep, maybe too much light or not properly acclimated.

What type of clam, Maxima?
If you dont mind could you give your lighting schedule as well. I'm running the same light and have concerns as to went went wrong. I had a maxima that I could not seem to get settled or make happy and my tank is only 12" deep, maybe too much light or not properly acclimated.

small maximas will need live rock or a solid surface to attach (byssal threads) to.

Does anyone have any experience with any type of clam (although I would prefer a maxima) with Ecotech radion pro30w I also have one kessil 700? I would be keep the clam aroind 24" deep but could move it up. I have 5 radions and one kessil.

I have a maxima about 3-3.5" in size which sits at the bottom of my tank a Nuvo Fusion 20 under a kessil a360 which is approx 14" above the waters surface. The clam opens wide daily and is doing great

Back