lightning help

jaylensdad06

I have a current marine 48 inch led fixture.I know it's not as power full for lps or softies as I would like. I was walking around a local store and got a open box deal I couldnt pass up. it's a coralife dual ho t5 fixture. it has the coralife bulbs 1 day light n 1 actinic. I hear ati bulbs r the way to go....so my question is...since I am suplimenting the blue spectrum I wanna put 2 blues instead of only 1. but I dont know the difference between actinic. to blue special to purple special n so on...coral special..etc....could someone en light en me on what each blue does....I know im supposed to search the beginnerv forums but I cant find much. what blues r better or should I just gp with 2 actinic.? thanx in advance.

I know some people here are far smarter than I about such things but I'll throw my 2cents in here. I would put 2 ATI Blue Plus bulbs in there.

:)

lightning help

It's tough with only a two bulb fixture. I have all ATI bulbs in my t5 fixture (4 bulb) and I love them! If you go online you can find the exact wave length of the blues and the difference. It's been a while I forget. But I was running 2 blue plus, and now I have 1 blue plus and a true actinic. But I also have a coral plus, purple plus, and aqua blue special I can swap out and play with the colors. I personally like the actinic and blue plus. For looks over two blue plus.

I am just using it to suplement the not so strong current leds. eventually when work is not slow im going to upgrade..but for now these will have to do....im just un sure of what spectrum does for thé corals and if one helps with growth.

I have heard that 10k white is amazing for coral growth. However I do not like the look of 10k. So I have a coral plus which is more around 12k

Can u give some info on the led spectrum u r using? R u looking to supplement more blue or just over all add light?

lightning help

+1 two blue plus bulbs.

As for looks here's how they look to me.

Blue plus - actinic blue with a little green hue.
Coral plus - white with a hint of blue
Aqua blue special - white with hint of blue
Purple plus - pinkish red
Actinic - purple

As for 10k being better, from what I've read the actinic spectrum is best for growth. And in ati bulbs the best par and growth are the blue plus.

Ultimately you'll buy two bulbs and then wonder what another bulb will look like. You'll then periodically buy different bulbs until you've tried all the options or find something you really like. gl

Kevin

the spectrum im using is just the 4 that the current usa leds use. im just trying to get better coral growth that the fixture isnt strong enough to do......my leds r running a stock program 100% white n 100%blues. ramp timer...12hr full intensity. then ramp down to moon lights for 4 hours.my tank looks really white. so no color during the day. softies seem to be fine...but would like to get more lps in thé tank....hammers. torches...etc. I heard certain blues will keep corals full y extender sometimes longer then what's heathy. I could ber wrong..just dont wanna hurt n e thing.

+1 two blue plus bulbs.

As for looks here's how they look to me.

Blue plus - actinic blue with a little green hue. Main spike 450nm
Coral plus - white with a hint of blue 50% blue plus, 40% white, 10% purple plus
Aqua blue special - white with hint of blue agreed it's there daylight bulb
Purple plus - pinkish red
Actinic - purple 440nm down to 380 basically ther ultra violet uv bulb

Kevin

the spectrum im using is just the 4 that the current usa leds use. im just trying to get better coral growth that the fixture isnt strong enough to do......my leds r running a stock program 100% white n 100%blues. ramp timer...12hr full intensity. then ramp down to moon lights for 4 hours.my tank looks really white. so no color during the day. softies seem to be fine...but would like to get more lps in thé tank....hammers. torches...etc. I heard certain blues will keep corals full y extender sometimes longer then what's heathy. I could ber wrong..just dont wanna hurt n e thing.

Well I tried to look up the spectrum but I found more then one type of current USA led fixture but all seem to be heavy on the white side. I would go with 2 blue plus also. It looks like u have a lot of white light already. I have never heard anything about to much blue damaging corals by keeping them fully extended as u put it.

Back