Lightsluvr's 340G Upgrade

My Achilles Tang has been in residence a little over ten weeks now. He has eaten Nori voraciously since day 1. He has picked algae off the LR and back glass during the day.

I am so happy to announce that last night, for the first time, I observed him eating Mysis shrimp along with the other tank occupants! I had previously seen him "pick" at the shrimp, but he would spit them out... now he recognizes them as a preferred food source!

I know he will flourish now.

BTW, I introduced him directly into my DT, just as I have done with all my fish. AT's are known to desire lots of flow, something I could not have provided in a QT. My DT looks like the ocean with flow provided by three MP40's, a Hammerhead-powered closed loop and a Barracuda-powered return flow. I have never lost a fish to Ich or Velvet. A few have jumped, but none have died from disease.

A side note - I have had my Blond Naso Tang for 2-1/2 years now, and he has never taken frozen food. He thrives on Nori plus the algae he harvests while scavenging the tank. He has doubled in size since I purchased him from the Diver's Den.

When I was assured that the Achilles was going to thrive, I added (3) Bartlett's Anthias. They were not eating well at the LFS. but they are doing well in the community.

No more fish purchases on the horizon. The tank is alive with motion and color - I think we have achieved a perfect balance.

LL

My Achilles Tang has been in residence a little over ten weeks now. He has eaten Nori voraciously since day 1. He has picked algae off the LR and back glass during the day.

I am so happy to announce that last night, for the first time, I observed him eating Mysis shrimp along with the other tank occupants! I had previously seen him "pick" at the shrimp, but he would spit them out... now he recognizes them as a preferred food source!

I know he will flourish now.

BTW, I introduced him directly into my DT, just as I have done with all my fish. AT's are known to desire lots of flow, something I could not have provided in a QT. My DT looks like the ocean with flow provided by three MP40's, a Barracuda-powered closed loop and a Hammerhead return flow. I have never lost a fish to Ich or Velvet. A few have jumped, but none have died from disease.

A side note - I have had my Blond Naso Tang for 2-1/2 years now, and he has never taken frozen food. He thrives on Nori plus the algae he harvests while scavenging the tank. He has doubled in size since I purchased him from the Diver's Den.

When I was assured that the Achilles was going to thrive, I added (3) Bartlett's Anthias. They were not eating well at the LFS. but they are doing well in the community.

No more fish purchases on the horizon. The tank is alive with motion and color - I think we have achieved a perfect balance.

LL

After almost 8 years, we decided to close this tank. It has been part of our family and most of the livestock pictured in this thread are still living today. We sold the livestock and coral to a nearby aquarist. Another aquarist bought the tank, stand and many accessories to replace a 300 gallon tank that had a catastrophic failure. My wife and I are going to travel a little now... Thanks Reef Central friends. I will always cherish this build thread. Lightsluvr

Oh, wow. I have been a lurker on here for a long time. I will miss your wit and the tank! Enjoy your travels and stop back in from time to time. I am finally going to set up the tank that has been in works forever :).

Have a great time, sure will miss you and the Mrs.!

Oh, wow. I have been a lurker on here for a long time. I will miss your wit and the tank! Enjoy your travels and stop back in from time to time. I am finally going to set up the tank that has been in works forever :).

Have a great time, sure will miss you and the Mrs.!

Thanks Johnny. Hope your tank goes well !

LL

Back