lionfish in my tank: yes ou no...

hugorsf

I Frank,

I read your lionfish article i and i'm wondering if i can add a lionfish to my tank.

The setup:

- 119 Galons aquarium.
- 53 Galons sump/refugium.
- 100Kg of matured Live rock.

It's a reef with many corals...

Other fishes:
- 1 Hepatus (medium size)
- 1 Yellow Tang (medium size)
- 1 pair of ocellaris (juvenils)
- 1 pair of Skunk clownfishes (Juvenils/adults)
- 1 Bicolocr Blennie

Do you think i can had a lionfish?

Necessarly a dwarf one. My favorite is radiata, but it'll grow to much. I'm thinking in Antennata. Is not so much bigger as Zebra or Fuzzy as i understand, and i prefer it.

My bigger concern is ocellaris (i don't think a dwarf lionfish could eat my skunk pair :rolleyes: ) i presume. What do you think?

Another question is that it will help if a lionfish came very little to the aquarium and grow with other fishes that in the future'll became possible food to him? Its a psycologistic fish question:D

Thanks in advance.

hi-
your right a dwarf species will not eat your smaller fish. A baby antennata will be fine and will prolly grow to just over 7-8" in another yr or so. i do recommend putting in smaller lionfish, just so they will grow w/ the tank and see tankmates as mates and not food.
But hopefully your clowns will outgrow your lion, i think your on the right track here

Ok that's the idea i have. If a lionfish or any other "agressive" fish grows with other fishes (that in the future could be food to him) i think that that fish'll be different in adult. Fish psycology, again :D

What about antennata Vs. other dwarf lionfish. The size difference is not that much, right?

Now another important question that i presume all future lionfish byers should think: his poison.

Reading your article i figure that a lion'll not hit you or any other fish/"thing" as soon as he see it, rigth? My impression is that a lion'll only hit in extreme situations like a bee for instance.

Am i correct?

And to finish and not to be so borring: Can realy a hit of a dwarf lion (including here antennata) kill a person?:rolleyes:

I have a fuzzy dwarf...love him dearly...anything under 2" seemed to just slowly go "missing"...he seemed happy!!!! MK

Back