live aquaria

Peter Chefalo

At one point live aquaria, which used to be flying fish express was going to try to collect larval fish and raise them in tanks, thus catching them before the huge planktonic losses occured. Does anybody know what happened to this effort?

That's a brilliant idea! I just posted about "Galveston Reefs" here where someone is doing the same with coral spawning.

Scott - aye, some public/private aquariums are doing that with a few test species. Wish it could fuel this hobby =)

Inlandaquatics does something about tank raising fish... haven't looked into it to much though.

This technique was patented by some company operating out of French Polynesia, as I recall. Live Aquaria was one of several companies that was going to distribute the fish. I don't believe it turned out to be profitable, though.

it's still to easy to just scoop out of the ocean. when that gets restricted somehow, economics will take over and someone will start to research the best way to do this.

If more people were willing to pay a few extra dollars for a fish, projects like this would stand a better chance. Instead it's all about "who has the cheapest clown fish in town" Spend a little extra and start buying tank raised fish, the more TR fish that sell the more that become available.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13437213#post13437213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise
If more people were willing to pay a few extra dollars for a fish, projects like this would stand a better chance. Instead it's all about "who has the cheapest clown fish in town" Spend a little extra and start buying tank raised fish, the more TR fish that sell the more that become available.

Well said, it costs money to be "green"....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13437213#post13437213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise

While I agree with what your saying Rob, I don not agree this is the case with why EcoMay didn't turn out to work all that well.

They only produced limited stock (few line items) and in wholesale/export that is a real killer. For a wholesaler to buy a few line items for a whole shipment, it had better be big ticket items and not common butterflies like EM was doing.

EM had many other problems. The owner tried to patent shipping fish in bags, using heat packs, etc. Problem was, this was back in like 2001 :lol: Kinda hard to patent what had been in use for 50 years :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13288071#post13288071 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
This technique was patented by some company operating out of French Polynesia, as I recall. Live Aquaria was one of several companies that was going to distribute the fish. I don't believe it turned out to be profitable, though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but since LA buys from QM and QM was one of the supporters of EM, wouldn't LA simply just buy them from QM and not bring the entire shipment in themselves?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13449172#post13449172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
While I agree with what your saying Rob, I don not agree this is the case with why EcoMay didn't turn out to work all that well.

They only produced limited stock (few line items) and in wholesale/export that is a real killer. For a wholesaler to buy a few line items for a whole shipment, it had better be big ticket items and not common butterflies like EM was doing.

EM had many other problems. The owner tried to patent shipping fish in bags, using heat packs, etc. Problem was, this was back in like 2001 :lol: Kinda hard to patent what had been in use for 50 years :lol:

Very true. I guess my comment was more of a generalization.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13449183#post13449183 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
Correct me if I am wrong, but since LA buys from QM and QM was one of the supporters of EM, wouldn't LA simply just buy them from QM and not bring the entire shipment in themselves?
Correct. I was referring to EcoMay's profitability, not Live Aquaria's. Sorry if it was unclear.

Back