LiveAquaria Salt Deal

Why is Alk above 10 bad?

I don't think 10 is the limit, but many acropora such as red planet will start to die off when Alk hit 12 and above. I have seen this over and over again.
Also it is known that high Alk to cause harm to fish especially their slime coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One study, I forgot where I saw it, showed that calcification slow down after Alk over 10, possible due to rise of pH that lower the bicarbonate concentration (and increase of carbonate concentration).

Coral utilizes bicarbonate for calcification, but we can't measure bicarbonate alone using hobby grade test kits. So we use total alkalinity as a rough guideline. With a given total alkalinity, when pH changes, the concentration of bicarbonate and carbonate changes, as well as CO2. Higher pH lead to lower bicarbonate level. Well, alkalinity we talk about in this hobby is not a single thing, it is a combination that affected by other parameters.

LiveAquaria Salt Deal

That leads to all we know these days, chasing Alk number is not really useful as long as total Alk is within reasonable range, along with pH range.

The numbers are identical... It has to be. What a weird coincidence if not.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Is Fritz undesirable?

For me it is.
Some of us local guys experienced a bad batch of high magnesium salt.
Not that a bad batch of salt is uncommon, but they didn't seem to give a hoot.
So they are crossed off my list of salts.

Do they do any recall on bad batches? Any manufacture for that matter. Just wondering because that could cause harm to the tank.

No, they just argued that all THEIR tests showed all recent batches were fine.
I tried 3 different test kits and I wasn't the only one with the problem. Only problem was I didn't have a lot number because I emptied the bag into a Salinity bucket. I even dropped a sample off at my LFS (which they mixed up as well and got the same results) and thought maybe Fritz would want to have it sent back to test or something. But nope, nothing.

When I had a similar issue with Tropic Marin, they were all over it and sent me a replacement bucket, and even instructed I use the regular (not the pro) because the levels were lower and it would get my tank levels down quicker.

No, they just argued that all THEIR tests showed all recent batches were fine.
I tried 3 different test kits and I wasn't the only one with the problem. Only problem was I didn't have a lot number because I emptied the bag into a Salinity bucket. I even dropped a sample off at my LFS (which they mixed up as well and got the same results) and thought maybe Fritz would want to have it sent back to test or something. But nope, nothing.

When I had a similar issue with Tropic Marin, they were all over it and sent me a replacement bucket, and even instructed I use the regular (not the pro) because the levels were lower and it would get my tank levels down quicker.

Thanks for the information. Interesting enough I just sort of assumed that all salt manufactures worked towards an equivalent "food-grade" manufacturing process. I guess that jokes is on me :(

My take away from this is that I do need to pay attention and treat it now like any over the counter supplement I might take. And oddly enough I just put my 240 on the stand to start working on the plumbing. So while I haven't decided on a salt I did learn something new today. So thanks.

Oh - forgot to ask. How is that fish - name is escaping me at the moment that was received in your last TBS shipment? The poor soul who you banished to the sump :)

Last edited:
I liked fritz when I tried it but the dkh dropped too fast. I much prefer plain old IO. Used red sea last time around because I got it cheep. Same thing, prefer IO.

I need 50lb bags or it screws up my salt mixing procedure.

Salt choices amaze me. How is this so hard? This is one of the few instances where perhaps the best one to use is also among the least expensive. This is one case where I think that people sometimes just like to be contrarian or just experiment.

Salt choices amaze me. How is this so hard? This is one of the few instances where perhaps the best one to use is also among the least expensive. This is one case where I think that people sometimes just like to be contrarian or just experiment.

I agree. My current tank I decided to experiment and try out some RSCP and RC and I'm just going back to regular IO. I actually have an unopened bucket of RSCP that I don't even want to use.

Back