Long shot - looking for MH and Florescents ballasts Hamilton tech

White-Queen

So in my college days I had my 55g set up at my place of business. I got sick and moved home and when I sent my dad to go get the tank it had been "stolen". (Jerk hid it because I got sick and stopped working) we recovered everything, or so I thought but now that I'm setting it back up I realize we don't have the ballasts for the huge light set up I had. It's old school now I know but if I could make it work that would be great.

Hamilton tech 48" long light unit with 2 MH bulbs and two fluorescent bulbs. Including pics of the current bulbs and plug ends which is what we need the ballasts for. Does anyone happen to have any they have upgraded from? Otherwise I guess I'll be updating from scratch sooner than I anticipated. I'm bummed to get back into and realize that jerk still got away with stuff.

45dba5053e2b5aefa449e9327dcef604.jpg

6be80a5090bf0662dbe4bb254cce18f3.jpg

There is a part number inside but I think it might be the fan only not sure.

3013e58cfd25fb7570fe23ca1b36ac94.jpg

Unusual plug ends.

5c907d7f8d69492b79931eb8e552da10.jpg

Sucks because I spent a ton of money on this as a college student and thought I had it ready to use when I was done having kids and settled and could get back into things and now I realize that jerk stole it as well as the tank and I'm even more irritated than ever. Hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the old super actinics!!
Maybe go VHO with them while you're at it!

And Greg is right, talk to Hamilton. Their customer service has always been great.

I bet Hamilton could help get you running again. Even if that plug type isn't made anymore, it's fairly simple to rewire them.

http://www.hamiltontechnology.com

So I could rewire my lights to plug into a standard timer type unit? That would ideal! I mean not me my husband but he's handy with that sort of thing. What kind of unit would you recommend that would give me the power and timing I need?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That pictured cord -- is that from the PCs, or the MH? Old Hamilton's used similar looking ones for both;

My old 2*250 ballast,

light5.jpg

light4.jpg

They also used this configuration for a bit too --- which they still make.

ballast2-1.jpg

ballast.jpg

The PC ballasts ---- which it looks like they still sell

light1.jpg

That pictured cord -- is that from the PCs, or the MH? Old Hamilton's used similar looking ones for both;

My old 2*250 ballast,

light5.jpg

light4.jpg

They also used this configuration for a bit too --- which they still make.

ballast2-1.jpg

ballast.jpg

The PC ballasts ---- which it looks like they still sell

light1.jpg

One plug for the MH is like your top box ("My old 2*250 ballast,") and one like the bottom - both have six prongs with 5 round and 1 flat. But if you look at the plugs with three rounds across the top one the flat goes horizontally and one the flat goes vertically. (if that makes sense.)

You aren't willing to sell those at used prices are you? ;-) Save me from having to buy the blasted things twice? **sigh**

The things we do for our fish. hahahaha

One plug for the MH is like your top box ("My old 2*250 ballast,") and one like the bottom - both have six prongs with 5 round and 1 flat. But if you look at the plugs with three rounds across the top one the flat goes horizontally and one the flat goes vertically. (if that makes sense.)

You aren't willing to sell those at used prices are you? ;-) Save me from having to buy the blasted things twice? **sigh**

The things we do for our fish. hahahaha

It does make perfect sense (( this thread is slowly jogging my memory )). At least they (( Hamilton )) still makes the PC ballast if you need that one too.

Alas, I sold those ballasts at least 13 years ago, so I can't give them to you.
I would contact them, but I am willing to bet that you will have to change out the cord to the new style.

It does make perfect sense (( this thread is slowly jogging my memory )). At least they (( Hamilton )) still makes the PC ballast if you need that one too.

Alas, I sold those ballasts at least 13 years ago, so I can't give them to you.
I would contact them, but I am willing to bet that you will have to change out the cord to the new style.

Well blast - I knew it would be a long shot. I was really looking forward to being able to upload the lighting on my new tank acquisition right away. That guy stole a ton of stuff from me and when I filed a police report he gave my dad a bunch of it back but apparently not all and I was so sick I never noticed. It's way too late now to try to chase it down. Bah humbug.

I will try to pick up the PC ballast and maybe can find a used one for the MH somewhere. If not I'll start a new thread about rewiring options.

Thanks for all your input and the pictures. Helpful to see what's missing and realize I definitely do NOT have that tucked away in a box somewhere.

My goodness, a Todd sighting!!!
How you doing??!!

WhiteQueen, Hamilton can most likely lead you to the recepticles you need to wire up a new ballast.

Would these work do you think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-watt-Hamilton-VHO-Halide-Light-Ballast-/182276486916?

The MH says 250 but my bulbs say 175W on them. That shouldn't be a problem right? Does the VHO ballast match up with the fluorescents do you guys think?

The price seems very reasonable and would let me use what I already have instead of starting from scratch during set up.

Thoughts?

Angela <><

PS I really appreciate all ya'lls feedback. So very much appreciated.

2 250W MH would be way overkill on a 55, stick with the 175's.
VHO is110W. Either way, get new bulbs all around.

2 250W MH would be way overkill on a 55, stick with the 175's.
VHO is110W. Either way, get new bulbs all around.

To clarify - The new tank I'm getting is a 110g.

I will DEFINITELY be getting new bulbs for sure.

The question I'm wondering is - will those used ballasts off Ebay work for the light system I have sitting on my kitchen table? I can snag both of those off Ebay for about 20% of what the replacements would cost me new.

Thoughts?

What I mean is...if I stick with 175 bulbs can I use the 250 ballast or do I need a specifically 175 ballast? I know that might be a dumb question. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back