Long tentacle acting wierd

wasacracker

We just moved our long tentacle plate from a semi smooth rock in the center of our tank to the sand, it has not been all beautiful and flowy like it was when it was up on the rocks we have a Marineland double bright LED which is 1800 lumens. Do you think maybe moving it 4" further away from the light has affected it badly? Water flow is similar to what it was when it was up. We were afraid it was going to move itself (which it had moved about an inch on its rock perch) off the rock and land upsidedown some day so we moved it to the sand which it is supposed to prefer anyway. Don't want to loose our coral can anyone shed some light on this odd behavior?

I wouldnt say it is lack of light when they are not getting enough light they get really puffy trying to take in as much light as possible. How long has it been since you moved it?

That is what we were thinking as well...turns out last night after giving it a piece of scallop it started acting normal again :D we are new to coral and only have this one so far, looking to get a torch next. Do you by chance know what type of coral it is that when you touch it it dies...I remember that from diving in the keys when I was younger...

Glad to hear it is doing better and no i havent heard of a coral that cant be touched. That would be a pain trying to find a place for it without directly touching it.

Everything just takes time, including corals recovering from being handled. Patience is #1 in this hobby.

One thing to note, You have a double bright marineland fixture. I used to have the reef-capable version (double the lights of yours). The double bright was never meant for coral, more for fish. I would suggest an upgrade if you seriously consider keeping more corals. I didn't really like the look of my reef capable, so I upgraded. If you do upgrade, make sure you get the light that looks the best, as upgrading twice will be very costly. Just my opinion (JMO).

Back