Long term Master Doc Skimmer use

Jeff

Premium Member
I am thinking about getting a 9420 or a 9440 and cant find a whole lot on the web about them other then everybody that does have one likes them. Tunze just re-vamped the design a bit and are using new pumps. Anybody running one? If so, what did it replace and how do you like it? I have limited space in my sump, that is why I am thinking about getting one.
Thanks in advance.

There have got to be some more people on this forum running this skimmer. Anybody else have a review of the Master Doc Skimmer?
Also, are the new ones out with the new pumps and filter sock yet? If so, who is selling them?

Jeff

I am running a 9460 and love it. I bought it before the filter socks but have since got them. Personally I like the blue foam pads but I have'nt played with the socks much. I like the idea of being able to run media in them but have'nt got to it yet.

I have the latest version Tunze pump and it is amazing. Very low power draw and is probably the quietest pump I have run. Lots of uniform small bubbles and great foam head. As said pretty much set and forget...there is a little adjustment in the drain tubes but you really don't need to do it much....it just seems to put out a nice skimmate.

I have run alot of the high end skimmers and if I did it all over again I would take this one over many on the market. Can't beat the pump for power consumption and how quiet it is....great air input to the size of the skimmer body and neck dia. and height. add the dual purpose of the filter sock and it is great.

I liked the blue pads over the socks becouse with the pads you could run it and the whole skimmer ran virtually almost silent. If my stand was skinned you would never have a chance of hearing it.

Chad

Thanks Chad. Sounds like this is the skimmer for me. I had a 9010 years back on a small tank and loved it so this line of skimmers has got to be be even better. I screwed up and put a 40 long under my current tank as a sump so size is a huge factor when deciding and I can fit a 9440 in in.

I am running a 9005 in a tunze reefpack right now and the needlewheel M-DOC skimmers perform better.

Wait until you plug it in and you don't hear anything....it's actually pretty amamzing....and I don't have the rubber suction cups on the bottom of my skimmer body like the 9420/40.

Chad

I had/have one of the new pumps on my 9420 but not one of the needlewheels which is needed on this skimmer. I am waiting for a new needlewheel once Roger gets spares but I am breaking my tank down so will be selling the skimmer once I do get it, so sadly likely wont have much input once I get it.

I will say this, buildwise the skimmers are built like tanks and fit and finish is outstanding. The new skimmers come with the blue sponges and the bag, I only had the sponges but I personally would prefer the sponges as the bags will need cleaned and I am lazy :D With the old needlewheel it would foam but form a ring of dirt in the neck and very little would make it to the cup. I believe clownnrnd experience was the same at first as the 9420/60 suffer from this with the old needlewheel and due to the tall standpipe used which creates more backpressure, the 9440 and 9480s dont have as much of a problem. The new needlewheel adds quite a bit of kick to the 9420 pumps especially with backpressure compared to the original.

I have the 9440 and just upgraded to the new hydrofoamers thanks to Roger and let me tell you this thing rocks and is super quiet just plug and play

I have just installed a 9420 and can confirm what everyone above has said.; Beautiful build quality, practically silent and produces a nice dark skimmate once run in ( mine was a little watery for the first week or so). It has replaced a Deltec APF600 on my 600 Litres (gross) tank/sump. The Deltec managed to produce around half a Litre of skimmate per week but this monster produces around 2 Litres per week. To say I'm pleased with it would be an understatement.I dithered about whether to buy this or an ATB Cone and now I'm positive I made the right choice.

193339420-med.jpg

The 9420 works great. It's been running for a couple of months without issue. The effluent in the cup is about a days worth, which it produces consistently. I will say I prefer the sponges over the bag for continuous duty as the bag is quite efficient and clogs quickly. I will use the bag on cleaning days to capture excess debris. No more overflows and the cup just lifts off to clean, what's not to love?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14812676#post14812676 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shawnz28
I had/have one of the new pumps on my 9420 but not one of the needlewheels which is needed on this skimmer. I am waiting for a new needlewheel once Roger gets spares but I am breaking my tank down so will be selling the skimmer once I do get it, so sadly likely wont have much input once I get it.

I will say this, buildwise the skimmers are built like tanks and fit and finish is outstanding. The new skimmers come with the blue sponges and the bag, I only had the sponges but I personally would prefer the sponges as the bags will need cleaned and I am lazy :D With the old needlewheel it would foam but form a ring of dirt in the neck and very little would make it to the cup. I believe clownnrnd experience was the same at first as the 9420/60 suffer from this with the old needlewheel and due to the tall standpipe used which creates more backpressure, the 9440 and 9480s dont have as much of a problem. The new needlewheel adds quite a bit of kick to the 9420 pumps especially with backpressure compared to the original.

Just as Shawn said... I used the Sicce pumps w/ the flexible needlewheels and it made alot of noise and skimmate production was not great....had alot of build up in the riser tube. The first gen. Tunze had a little more air output but not much on my 9460 and had the same build up on the riser tube but the pump was silent. The second gen. Tunze is fantastic!!! As good or better than my bubble king 2000 pump was....Just as quiet if not more so...and energy consumtion for my 3 Tunze is labeled at 16w (? untested) each for a total of around 22-2300lph air. My BK was rated at (untested) 2000lph air and (untested) 57w or so...can't remember exactly but I think that is close.

Chad

I'm getting a 9420 next week with an extra Hydrofoamer to make it a 9440. I cant wait :).

You will absolutely love these skimmers. Not sure what other brands you have used but rest assured you are getting absolutely one of the best on the market. I've spent alot of money on top of the line skimmers...some you feel pretty good about spending money on some others not so much. This skimmer is absolutely on par w/ the best and you will have to look far and wide to find the product support Roger and Tunze provide!

As I said, I had both versions Tunze pump and I was amazed at how fast Tunze produced the second generation pump to correct the problems w/ lack of air on the first gen.

I feel very comfortable spending my money on Tunze. I have spent more on other companies and have got very little support and this is why I will always contemplate tunze products for my hobby needs.

Let us all know what you think when you get it :) . I'm betting you will be amazed by how quiet it is...I like the blue sponges for quietness. My filter bags were 100micron I believe and I believe they may change to a 150micron to help w/ flow. As I said though..I like the sponges becouse it is soooo quiet w/ them.
Chad

quiet is nearly as important as performance for me. I dont have one yet, but it looks like they really got the pumps right.

Yes, I cant wait. I am in dire need of an upgrade. I am running an ATI Bubble Master 200 on my reef I finally realized that it is way undersized so the 9440 will rock. Also, the 9440 is one of the only skimmers around that will fit in a 12" wide sump and handle a larger tank.

Back