Looking for Inlet Strainer with INTERNAL Sponge

Kengar

I am looking for a 1" inlet strainer to protect inlet to closed loop system (to keep those small snails from getting through the slots in existing strainer and down to the pump). Since this will be on back wall of the tank and extending into the DT, I would prefer not to have an exposed sponge. Is anyone aware of any inlet strainers being available where you can put a sponge INSIDE the strainer cage? I have in mind something where the cage would be configured to hold the sponge securely in place; if I put sponge in one of those cone-shaped strainers, it would just get sucked down into the pump.

I have googled and checked the usual places but am not seeing anything. If nothing is available commercially, I will just make something to install inline just upstream of the pump, e.g., using a short length of PVC pipe and caps joined to ends with hose barbs with some sponge inside of it, but would prefer ease of ready-to-buy.

Thanks.

Yuck..Sounds like a maintenance nightmare to me..
No way would I want a sponge anywhere in a closed loop or at the inlet of any pump for that matter.. The potential cavitation it could cause if not maintained often is far worse than any tiny snail issues..

Detritus/food,etc... would clog a sponge like that quickly..

I have seen smaller "filter baskets w/sponge" (maxijet style pumps and pond filters,etc..) but never one for a 1" pump..

Last edited:
Back