Looking for nitrate /iron/manganese supplement recommendations.

taby15

Hello, I was looking for recommendations for a nitrate/iron supplement that can replenish the elements consumed by my chaeto. I ran a chaeto reactor for 10 hours a day and after 2 weeks it stripped my tank of most of its nitrate. It went from 10ppm to almost zero on my red Sea test kit. Looking to safely add nitrate.I appreciate any suggestions

Hello, I was looking for recommendations for a nitrate/iron supplement that can replenish the elements consumed by my chaeto. I ran a chaeto reactor for 10 hours a day and after 2 weeks it stripped my tank of most of its nitrate. It went from 10ppm to almost zero on my red Sea test kit. Looking to safely add nitrate.I appreciate any suggestions

Unless you are trying to produce more chaeto, why add nutrients to your system. Macro algae absorbs nutrients to outcompete nuisance algae. If your chaeto is stripping too much nutrients, then reduce photo period on chaeto.

Stump remover, which is potassium nitrate, is a popular choice for nitrate supplementation, sold at hardware stores. For iron, your LFS or online vender should have an iron supplement for plants. Same for manganese.

In addition to Subsea's suggestion, you can also export some chaeto regularly to decrease it's capacity to uptake nitrate, etc. A smaller plant consumes less nutrients.

Thank you for your response. I definitely will reduce the lighting time, and trim excess algae.

Back