Looking to use this led fixture, need some help...

FullBoreReefer

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this link, but I came across this small fixture that would allow me to use two in my tight location for my algae turf scrubber. They are also waterproof so that is nice also, but it doesn't appear to come with a plug. Do I just need a power supply since its 12v? Or what? I've never built any led setups so I just don't know where to begin, but these would work great for a DIY build.

Any opinions, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...778d9ff&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=221975149890

Yes. You need a 12v DC power supply. This light being 10w it means that it will use almost 1 amp. Therefore, the power supply below should work.

EBay item 291346868315. Just get a female connector also on eBay and add it to the light and you are done.

EBay connector: 221909505069

JUst hook it to your car battery- J/K

I"m still using 100W equivalent CFL's for my ATS- and it's working well.

After you get these up and running awhile- if it's not too much trouble- shoot me a PM about how they're doing, growth, etc.
I only say PM b/c this forum is sooo big, it's hard to find things.

I"ve been wanting to upgrade too, lots of options however.
I'm think'n I'd rather go with the models that have 55 leds/per light- each drawing ~ 2.2W, so that it's way more total watts. I also understand that lumens is more important on led's.

Todd

I would wait to get the fixture or ask a question of the seller first.On the item description it says "85-265V" for voltage. That to me says that there is already a PS built into the light and you could attach either a male 110us plug to the cord or a euro plug and it would work.

Thanks guys for your replies. They are cheap enough that I'll try one on each side. If they aren't powerful enough then so be it. Its worth a shot I guess.

Yeah I can shoot you a PM when its up and running. Ill order the two lights today, as I now have everything else I need.

I guess they do offer higher wattage that run off of 110v if more is needed.

I would wait to get the fixture or ask a question of the seller first.On the item description it says "85-265V" for voltage. That to me says that there is already a PS built into the light and you could attach either a male 110us plug to the cord or a euro plug and it would work.

Yeah on the higher wattage ones they state that voltage, I'm only interested in the 12v.

Got mine up and running just a bit ago. I just threw a cfl on it for now. I also seen a piece of GHA floating in my filter sock so I smeared some on the netting lol, that's why there's a few specks on the netting already

Those look to be the exact same light.

LEDs do not work on AC voltage. It is converted to 12v before it is used. I think the description is merely different. Even if you buy the 110vac one, it will be converted to 12vdc before it reaches the LEDs.

Those look to be the exact same light.

LEDs do not work on AC voltage. It is converted to 12v before it is used. I think the description is merely different. Even if you buy the 110vac one, it will be converted to 12vdc before it reaches the LEDs.

having shopped this light a month ago.

they offer both varieties DC and AC

They both are the same price, I would only use DC is it was for a vehicle/RV/Boat

I decided to go with two 12v fixtures, and a 3amp 12v power supply with connector. Came to about $32/shipped. Could I have went cheaper, sure.

With light supplies, 5gal bucket, a few pvc fittings(had a few laying around also), and the mesh net from the craft store, the build came to about $44 for my ATS.

Now I just gotta wait to receive the lights/etc and swap out the cfl.

Cool. Keep us posted. Want to see the growth on these lights. I have been considering building an ATS myself, but have been a bit lazy lately.

Good luck.

Here is a quick lesson as some seem to be confused when choosing the voltage of their fixtures.

LEDs (as previously stated) only work on DC voltage.

If the fixture says it's 120v, then there HAS to be a built in power supply to convert the voltage. Probably some cheap bridge rectifier and a couple of caps. It will be internal to the light. This fixture, when all is said and done, is the exact same as the 12v one plus an included power supply.

If the fixture says its 12v, then the internals for changing the voltage aren't there and you have to provide 12 via a battery or some other power supply you buy that you plug into 120v anyways.

Unless you are using these in an automobile, boat, running off of a battery for some reason, purchasing a 12v light AND a power supply is simply going to cost more to accomplish the same thing. It is only a couple of bucks, but it is what it is.

a>

I have them on three tanks they work better that I expected.. they don't run hot. I have tried the white 4500k also, they both work well, I have experimented with mixing the white and "pink" and think that's the way to go, 1/1 ratio of the pink and 4500k. my next will have 16 of them for my fuge on my 200, I running 9 now "top pic"

I don't think there is any confusion. The reason to go with 12Vdc is very simple. Run multiple lights with a single power supply, outlet and timer. I think that if you are running a single unit, you should buy the ones that are ready for AC, but if you are running more than 1 unit, you should go with 12vdc.

Here is a quick lesson as some seem to be confused when choosing the voltage of their fixtures.

LEDs (as previously stated) only work on DC voltage.

If the fixture says it's 120v, then there HAS to be a built in power supply to convert the voltage. Probably some cheap bridge rectifier and a couple of caps. It will be internal to the light. This fixture, when all is said and done, is the exact same as the 12v one plus an included power supply.

If the fixture says its 12v, then the internals for changing the voltage aren't there and you have to provide 12 via a battery or some other power supply you buy that you plug into 120v anyways.

Unless you are using these in an automobile, boat, running off of a battery for some reason, purchasing a 12v light AND a power supply is simply going to cost more to accomplish the same thing. It is only a couple of bucks, but it is what it is.

Back