Looks like I'm loosing my show piece Red/Orange Monti ; need opions.

Scudd

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13366406#post13366406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scudd
Well, my chemistry got screwed up and it looks like my show piece Red Monti is biting the dust. This really has me down. I feel like just getting out of this money pit of a hobby and moving on.
I really enjoyed this particluar piece.
I don't know if I should leave it in there, or pull it out and try to frag some small pieces off it. It's had a remarkable abiltity to recover from things, but it has never taken damage like this before. I don't know. If any of you folks have any input, please help me out. This piece takes up a quarter to a third of my tank and really looks bad; I look like a total amatuer. It is still growing but see pics...

Before pic
uploadpic3.jpg

After pics

DSC01369.JPG

DSC01373.JPG

DSC01371.JPG

So, should I
1. leave it alone and see if it grows over the lead stuff
2. Pull it and frag the small good parts in hope that they will grow.
3. Just pull it

Last edited:
I had a similar thing happen to me. It sort of partially recovered, and then went completely south. I don't know if fragging it would have helped, because I had three separate pieces and they all went. I still have no idea why. Do you have a feel for what actually triggered the problem in your case?

jds

I switched from doing 2 part over to a Kalwasser with my top-off
I tweaked it with two-part every now and then to adjust the levels.
Well, my magnesium went down to 1000-1100. and the Kal was not enough to maintain the levels. I think I raised it to quick, then did sudden water changes to balance it out. It screwed everything up.

Back