LOOOONGGG Over Due for Me!!!

I'm very much excited about this. I put a call in today about a group discount. Waiting to hear back. I'll keep everyone posted.

Been there done it...From open water to Naui Instructor....Not a instructor any more... BUT I do love going bugging....

here is a few of the cards I have....

Attachments

• IMG_20150624_210600_364.jpg
    IMG_20150624_210600_364.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So I talked to the owner at EZ Scuba. The cost for the class is $99 if you buy your mask, snorkel and fins from them and they'll match anyone's price on gear. Same price I paid. Basically, they are so deeply discounted there's no room for more discounts. This covers your class, books, dive card and DVD. Then you'll have 4 dives (2 pool, 2 freshwater springs). This will cost another $150 or so.

So basically, minus your gear, you're looking at about $250 with a company that's been around a long time and has a lot of experience. Pretty good deal. And considering Richard from TBSaltwater has dove over ~10k, his recommendation played a lot into my decision.

Count me in for a group class. I was certified back in the 70's, then spent a lot of time stationed inland in the Air Force so I let my certification lapse. Let me know when and where.

Thanks
...JIM...

That's pretty cheap. Do they have a lot of used equipment? The masks, fins and snorkels are pretty expensive on their site.

So I talked to the owner at EZ Scuba. The cost for the class is $99 if you buy your mask, snorkel and fins from them and they'll match anyone's price on gear. Same price I paid. Basically, they are so deeply discounted there's no room for more discounts. This covers your class, books, dive card and DVD. Then you'll have 4 dives (2 pool, 2 freshwater springs). This will cost another $150 or so.

So basically, minus your gear, you're looking at about $250 with a company that's been around a long time and has a lot of experience. Pretty good deal. And considering Richard from TBSaltwater has dove over ~10k, his recommendation played a lot into my decision.

So that 250 if you buy there gear? If you don't its what an extra 51 Dollars so total 300?

Yes. And again they will match any competitors price on gear. While it may be cheaper buying gear online it's typically a bad idea. Fit and comfort are critical, so it's important to try it on before you buy it. If you order online and have to return it, shipping charges are likely going to eat away any savings.

I will say this... While the price to get certified may be inexpensive, I'm convinced that the PADI Open Water cert. is really just the bare bones minimum. In fact, after reading the book and watching the DVDS, there's a lot more information that needs to be understood before someone decides to go all willy nilly and hit the bottom. And while the course will allow you the ability to dive without a guide/instructor I believe it's important to take advanced courses and dive as often as possible at a comfortable depth. Especially before moving on to more deeper or difficult dives.

Let's make no mistake about it... My thoughts are this is a hobby that involves RISK of death or serious injury. You better know what you're doing down there, have a plan, a back up plan and maybe even a tertiary plan, a buddy, don't freak out and breathe!

It's official... Certified open water. Next will be some dives on Richard's Tampa Bay Saltwater aquaculture site and then Nitrox and Advanced Open Water. :)

a806845c00fcd3a73614ad650796f6c0_zpsexxmqwfv.jpg

4f1d9d135a949b62cb8777eec6d58371_zpsuy4vn833.jpg

Thank you. Yes, it was definitely a lot of fun. This was a fresh water spring called Blue Grotto. This place was pretty cool. All brand new ammenities and the cavern has an air bell which was a neat experience as you can remove your air, breath and talk at 30 feet deep. The life there includes a lot of fish of several species including koi fish plus a soft shell turtle named Virgil.

http://www.divebluegrotto.com/index.php/the-blue-grotto

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i8olsLXtR_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our first dive was at a location down the street called Devil's Den. The formation of this site is really unique and worth the experience, however, it is dimly lit, entry and exit is difficult if there's a lot of people and it's not as open as Blue Grotto, but still very cool. http://www.devilsden.com/DevilsDenScubaHome.php

Back