Lugol's question

rsteagall

When making the dip, how many mg of potassium iodide is used per gallon of water?

I don't have Lugols, but have Seachem Iodide (potassium iodide) which is the same stuff. I just need to know how much to add per gallon of water to make my zoo dip for the zoos I just bought.

Thanks,
Ryan

This stuff must not as concentrated. Lugols calls for 1 drop per 25 gallons to the aquarium. The zoo dip using Lugols calls for 1-2 drops per gal. Seachem calls for 1 capful to 50 gals to the aquarium So.... I did about 1/2 a cap full for 1 gal. Hopefully everything will all be ok. Things are just now starting to open after doing the dip.

Seachem Iodide is not the same as Lugols for dipping purposes.

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/ReefIodide.html

The Seachem product is an iodide supplement for maintaining levels of that ion in your reef.

Lugol's is combination of iodide and elemental iodine. This forms a tri-iodide complex. It's the iodine that kills the bacteria and nukes the nudis, not the iodide.

The 1 drop per 25 gallons is probably the Lugol dosage for supplementing iodine, not for dipping.

If you used iodide for dipping, it probably had no effect on any baddies.

Last edited:
I don't even bother with FW iodine dip any more. I just use a SW double strength iodine dip for 15 - 20 minutes with frequent blasting from a turkey baster.

The SW/iodine dip seems less stressful than the FW to me. With the SW you don't get to see the nudis explode, but they will be so stunned by the high iodine concentration and the longer dipping, that they all blow off the zoas very easily. After that, you just have to look for eggs.

I use double strength iodine as a general dip for sps as well. I've seen it knock loose acro eating flatworms before. As an experiment, I put the flatworms back in some clean tank water to see if they would recover. They were shriveled up and dead by the next day, but I wouldn't rely on it for a 100% kill on AEFW.

Also, if you don't have Lugol's, you can use tincture of iodine from the drugstore.

I use 10 drops of tincture per 8oz SW.

If using Lugol's, I use 5 drops per 8oz.

Mr. Ugly... I appreciate your comments. I guess at least the FW dipping portion of it may have got rid of tome of the "baddies".

When you say double strength SW are you talking about setting your sg to ~2.092sg or ~1.046?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8083608#post8083608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsteagall
Mr. Ugly... I appreciate your comments. I guess at least the FW dipping portion of it may have got rid of tome of the "baddies".
True, the FW will do it. But w/o the iodine, you have problems with decay sometimes.

When you say double strength SW are you talking about setting your sg to ~2.092sg or ~1.046?
Double strength on the Lugol's, not on the salt.

"Standard" strength would be 10 drops/32oz. Double would be 20 drops/32oz, which is equal to 5 drops/8oz. I usually use 8oz of tank/salt water per frag that gets dipped.

Here's some info from the Tyree site:

http://www.reeffarmers.com/acclimation.htm

I think the Kent Lugol's label also say 10 drops/32oz.

Back