Lyretail Anthias infection?

reachjohnnyliu

Any idea what this red spot is?

This is currently in QT w/ a basslett Anthias, Hippo Blue Tang, and Yellow Tang. No aggression that I can see in the tank. the lyretail seems to be eating just a small amount compared to the other 3.

QT is current in the middle of a General Cure & Metroplex medication cycle. I believe i'm on around day 10.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
Can't see the picture on my phone, but a red spot/sore on an Anthias is usually Uronema.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

just went through this 2 times with 2 sets of anthias. each ones spot grew each day until they died. nothing I did helped. Couple of them the spot turned into a giant hole. I was also told possible Uronema. Maybe a bunch are coming in with it right now?

Now that I can see the picture I'm pretty sure it's Uronema.
Many Anthias and Chromis are prone to come down with Uronema infections.
Chloroquine Phosphate may cure it. You can also try formalin baths followed by a transfer to a new, uninfected tank.

Probably Uronema, Green Chromis and Lyretail anthias have been coming in this way allot lately.

do i need to treat all the fish in the QT w/ formalin before transfer to a new tank?

I would. Once in a clean QT, I would dose Metroplex + Kanaplex for 10 days for good measure. The Seachem meds are only 70% active so it can take awhile to completely knock this out.

i've been looking at that lyretail closely and now it looks like its shedding. is that a symptom of uronema? I actually thought it looked a little like velvet, its got that white coating all over the fish.

what's the purpose of the formalin if metro is what eliminates the uronema? I still can't figure out how I'm getting Uronema, these fish are literally in day 10 of the metro/gc treatment.

Uronema can come from lots of sources. The issue is that Uronema isn't an obligate parasite (one that needs a host to survive and reproduce) but rather an opportunistic one that can live just fine without a host indefinitely. Its primary food are actually bacteria. So once it has made it into a system it's usually there to stay. Many exporter, wholesaler and LFS systems might have it and that's usually how it spreads around. Some fish seem to be particularly vulnerable. Anthias and Chromis are known to be the most affected.
As for the formalin, you should give every new fish a formalin (or H2O2) bath as a preventative measure before you put them into the QT. The bath should kill many of parasites that sit on the fish like for example Brooklynella, Uronema, Amyloodinium (to some degree), many "flukes", and a number of other. It does however nothing against parasites that dig themselves into the fish's skin like Cryptocaryon or black ick.

what i'm trying to figure out is, if Meto will treat Uronema and all sorts of other parasites externally, why the need for a Formalin dip?

I don't know if Metro is an effective treatment against Uronema. Aside from formalin (and H2O2) baths, I only know of Chloroquine Phosphate having been shown to be effective in a controlled study (one where the pathogen was clearly identified and it being killed by the medication confirmed.)

will i need to be redipping in formalin or is 1 dip usually enough? I'm going to just write off the Lyretail, by the time I get the formalin it'll be nearly a week from today. I'm really just concerned about saving the other 3 fish in that tank. I've already got copper in the tank, so when I prepare the formalin dip, do i pull that water from the current qt system or does it need to be fresh saltwater that's copper free?

Back