Macon's 90g Rimless

nitr8

I've been planning and building this tank for a little over three years now and I should have water in the tank by the end of June. I've lived in Florida for about 2 years now but just found this club today thanks to Chris. I've been relatively active on the ORCA website and plan to continue but I figured I would share my build here as well and see if I can get a few more perspectives. Here are some specs:

DISPLAY TANK:
-90 gallons (36'' x 24'' x 24'')
-Rimless
-Starphire on front and sides
-External overflow
+Bean Animal
-Built by Miracles Aquariums
-90 lbs Marco rock
-140 lbs Special grade reef sand
-DIY stand

DIY SUMP:
-35 gallons (30" x 18" x 15")
-4 sections (drain, skimmer, return, RO/DI reservior)
-Glass
-20 lbs LR

DIY REFUGIUM:
-12 gallons (15" x 9" x 20")
-Glass
-36 lbs Figi mud
-DIY LED grow light

EQUIPMENT:
-(4) AI SOL super blue
-(2) MP40WES
-BK Alpha 200 cone skimmer
-GEO 618 CA reactor
+10 lb CO2 tank
+Aquamedic CO2 regulator
+Aquamedic solenoid
-GEO 420 Bio pellets reactor
-(2) BRS Deluxe reactors (Carbon and GFO)
-Apex controller
+WXM
+VDM
-JBJ 500w heater
-Tunze Osmolator ATO
-BRS 75GPD 6 stage RO/DI unit
+50 gallon reservior drum

PUMPS:
-Eheim 1046
+Feeds CA reactor and carbon reactor
-Eheim 1250
+Feeds GFO reactor, Bio pellets reactor and Refugium
-Eheim 1264 return pump
+SCWD

Well sounds like you got it all figured out. From your plans it looks likebita gonna be sick! The only thing I personally would change is the 4 AI sols and go with 2 or 3 radions. Thats just personal preference. Ill be tagging along

Not that I'm a fan of expensive stuff but since you all already spending the money and buying vortech's I definitely agree with Mrharvard about the radions. Atleast then you can link them together.

Not that I'm a fan of expensive stuff but since you all already spending the money and buying vortech's I definitely agree with Mrharvard about the radions. Atleast then you can link them together.

I purchased the SOLs about 2 years ago. Well before the Radions came out. Also, I know a guy who has them and isnt very happy. As a fixture they are great but any and all settings have to made throught their website instead of a through a controller. Last time I was at his house he couldnt show me his configurations because the website was down. I don't like that at all. Personally, I would much rather have control over my light settings through my Apex.

Is this your first saltwater tank? I'm not trying to be factitious or anything like that - generally curious.

What are your plans for the refugium and sand bed? Are you planting Mangroves in that mud?

Is this your first saltwater tank? I'm not trying to be factitious or anything like that - generally curious.

What are your plans for the refugium and sand bed? Are you planting Mangroves in that mud?

No. I've had (3) tanks prior to this one. Here's a picture of my last tank.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370023601.715065.jpg

The refugium will only have a DSB and chaeto. I figured the deeper the sand bed the more anaerobic bacteria I would have for the biological filtration.

There's actually three buttons on top of the fixture which allows you to run through the pre set programs. Only reason why you need to log into ecotech is to config time and color configuration to you liking. I.e more red. More purple. Etc etc.

Well sounds like you got it all figured out. From your plans it looks likebita gonna be sick! The only thing I personally would change is the 4 AI sols and go with 2 or 3 radions. Thats just personal preference. Ill be tagging along

+1 on the radions

What do you mean link them together? The pumps and the lights?

Yes you can link them. You can program your pumps to slow down when the lights go to night mode.

You can link the lights and pumps pretty nice feature. I have had my radion for about a month and I couldnt be happier. I only suggested radions in the first place because I didnt know u already had your lights purchased. The AIs are nice as well!

Back